Penn 1/0 Senator - spool binding

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
gadabout
Advanced Board Poster

Penn 1/0 Senator - spool binding

Post by gadabout »

I had just finished a total overhaul of the Penn 1/0 Senator that I picked up at a flea market when the reel slipped out of my greasy hands and landed on the cement floor. Picking it up I found some road rash on the upper edge of the tail plate's chrome ring. Nothing worse than that. The only problem is that now there is some binding when the spool turns. I tried loosening and retightening the tail plate screws, but I can't get the binding to dissappear unless I Ioosen the bearing cap to the point where there is a lot of sideplay. Nothing appears obviously bent or misaligned.

After dissassembling/reassembling the reel a couple more times, I got it to where I can get rid of the binding if I have maybe 1/32" of sideplay. Not terrible but not quite right either.

Any ideas?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

If you have itapart again try rolling the x-members across a flat surface...maybe you hit hard enough to put a bit of bow in one...thst oould do it!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Gaddy...if you get it apart, like Deke suggested...once you test the posts for warping...roll the spool across a flat surface and eyeball the spool sides to see if there's any bow in either side. You can also roll it across in front of you and eyeball the spool shaft for a bend.

Just thoughts.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

If you use a small round file to put a groove in two pieces of wood to use as supports for the spool to turn in , it makes it easy to see if the spool sides have a wobble. You can set a spacer close to the edge of spool to help see the uneveness while turning as slow as you like.( Poor man's dial indicator)

Sometimes the foot can crush in width . More likely on the weaker 250 yds, type than a Senator though.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Re:

Post by sdlehr »

Rick H wrote:Gaddy...if you get it apart, like Deke suggested...once you test the posts for warping...roll the spool across a flat surface and eyeball the spool sides to see if there's any bow in either side. You can also roll it across in front of you and eyeball the spool shaft for a bend.

Just thoughts.
Although this method will work, I've used a different method. Protect one end of the spool spindle with masking tape, chuck it up in a drill, and spin at medium speed. It's really easy to see where things aren't symmetric, and if the opposite end of the spindle isn't rotating on a single axis that is also easy to spot.

Sid
Sid Lehr
nomdeplume57
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Penn 1/0 Senator - spool binding

Post by nomdeplume57 »

Just drop it again opposite of the side with the dent .
You already have a marked up reel from the first drop.
Be glad it wasn't an anvil with your foot as an interference catchall.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Re: Re:

Post by Wayne B. »

sdlehr wrote:
Rick H wrote:Gaddy...chuck it up in a drill, and spin at medium speed. It's really easy to see where things aren't symmetric, and if the opposite end of the spindle isn't rotating on a single axis that is also easy to spot.

Sid
This works well with the cross bars, as well.
Wayne Benson
ORCA Member, 2009
Waynesreelcollectibles.weebly.com