My new fairly old Medalist year 1939?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

My new fairly old Medalist year 1939?

Post by Charged »

For just 4$ I decided to take a risk on this one. Its a 1495 and if I did my research right, I think its from 1939.

Image Image

Image Image

I haven't attempted to clean it up yet, and was wondering if I should just start with a vinegar / water bath. Any other idea's would be welcome. The drag plate is frozen right now, so I'm going to have to work that free.

I can already see that I'll need to replace a few parts, one is the brake adjustment screw which I plan to order from One-Pfoot. it's also missing the round line guard (what a bummer!), but has both pins to hold it on place. It looks like One-Pfoot only makes them for the 1494. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? If not, I'm going to see what I might be able to accomplish, with one of these metal rings I picked up at the hardware store.

In the worst case scenario, I'll just remove what remains of the two pins, and leave the frames line guard open. But I'm really hoping to eventually find the correct round line guard, and one day back get one back in place.

For all the corrosion on the reel body, I feel that I got lucky with the handle, it spins freely.

I'm hoping to be able to restore this one enough, that I will be able to fish it this spring.

So far this is the oldest medalist in my collection. It took me a couple years to find one this old, at a price I was willing to pay.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: My new fairly old Medalist year 1939?

Post by john elder »

Wow! No one can claim you are not up to a challenge! the good news is that the spool, with that metal spool cover and nice early grasp are easily worth more than you paid for the reel...that's assuming it will clean up and i think it will. The frame?...well, that's another matter. It's in pretty bad shape...you might consider saving the spool and looking for a better candidate for a frame. Unless you can find the right ring for the line guard, it will never be right, although you might be able to make it fishable. It's almost as hard to find the replacement metal drag adjustment screw, although there are plenty of plastic ones out there to cannibalize. But what the heck...nothing to lose in the trying, eh? Good for you and Good luck!
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

I got the drag plate spinning, and then found that the frame was bent, so I carefully bent it back to shape. I just knew these spreading pliers would come in handy someday. Had them for years, first time I remember using them.

For those familiar with the, underside of a medalist spool, my largest obstacle now is freeing up this pin, it is stuck in its extended position, and needs to be able to compress so the reel can wind forward. Right now the spool only spins with the drag activated (line out).

Any ideas on how I should handle this problem?

This is what she looks like after a rinse in just water, and a mild scrubbing with a toothbrush. Next step will be a good soaking.

I wonder if I can push the whole pin assembly out of the spool from the top side hole opposite of the latch, and in front of the handle?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

put penetrating oil around the pin and let it sit overnight...put it in from the top (outside of the spool) and just fill the shaft it rides in. Then take a piece of wood and try to press it into the spool from the back. Once it decides to move, it's just a matter of working it back and forth with more penetrating oil until it's loose. I've had several that were stuck like that...it will free up!
keebranch
Advanced Board Poster

Post by keebranch »

Charged,
Great catch with this old reel.
I wonder if Bill Franke is still selling these parts as he's been reported as being in ill health. If it were me, I'd try Shakespeare and see if a modern part will work.

Looks like a fun project...

Les
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

I spoke with my dad about this one, and it turns out one of his friends used to work for a bait shop that went out of business in the late 50's/early 60's, and purchased a bit of the inventory. From what I'm told his friend has a bunch of unused vintage reels still in there packaging, and also has a bunch of pflueger parts in his basement. (This is the first time I ever heard this story).

So my dad is going to ask him what he has, and see if there is any chance he can help me out. I'm really not expecting much, but will have my fingers crossed.

Good to see you Les. I'm going to have to get back on those boards. Been relay busy lately, and missed the transition.
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

I think I may have committed another "reel" sin! I experienced more problems with that pin than anticipated. I got the pin free, but there must be a rusted out spring in there, as it does not automatically return to its position.

For now I just souped up one of my Chinese RC's with the cool metal parts that were still functional. Maybe one day I'll get them back on the original frame.

The hybrid cross continent reel, now sits attached to my Shakespeare wonderod awaiting it's call of duty. And to tell you the truth, I actually like fishing the rim control medalists anyways.

One Pfoot is still on my want list for the metal drag dial, and it might just end up finding a place on this reel for a while.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Did you say you need the One Pfoot brake adjusting screw for a 1495?
That is the only One Pfoot part I have left.
If that is what you need, I will sell it for retail plus USPS Priority (I only ship parts in Priority video box)

Shakespeare quit providing Medalist parts last year - the dynasty has fallen, boys
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

Sure, I'm interested Ron.

Send me a message and we can work out the details.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

pm sent, part is boxed up and ready to ship - waiting for your end.
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

I sent the payment via paypal, and verified my address via PM.

It hurts to think I payed that much for a screw. :Bawl:
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

the last one anywhere - retail.

from here on out, parts can only come from cannibalized reels.

Don't go looking for screws at home depot. I needed a 1/4-20 stainless for a boat application and they had them in individual bar-coded packages for $6/ -
a China screw.

I didn't buy the home depot screw - I went to Ace and found the pan head I needed for $1.20.
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

Thanks Ron, I got the part. Just imagine my surprise, when I started goofing around with that stuck pin again, and found that it had free'd itself up, and I was able to remove the assembly. (the spring is still good too, just needed to be stretched out a little).

With the screw part you sent me, and now that I got the pin working, I was able to salvage this reel into a fisher. I did end up repainting the frame with some very light coats, but thought it looked too new and weird. Before the paint was fully dry, I started buffing it out pretty aggressively with a pencil eraser and a paper towel, I ultimately lucked into a pretty attractive finish. I just took these pics a few minutes ago. This is the same "Junk" reel that is in the earlier posts. The only non-original components that did not come in the original purchase are the fresh coat of paint, and the P-Foot screw Ron sent me.

I tried to purposely put some wear back into the finish.

Here is the medalist all dissembled.

And now assembled

Now the only thing I'm missing is the line guide, the two pins that hold the ring in place are still on the reel. I cant wait to get it out fishing!
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

wow, good work.
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

I stopped by the One Pfoot site today, and found this great news posted. So for any one else needing parts, or who just wants to build a nice custom medalist. It looks like the One Pfoot parts will be available once again! :D

"17 May 2012

Dear Fellow Angler,

I'm happy to report that after a cordial negotiation, I've sold One-Pfoot to Dan Hill of Erie, Pennsylvania. It's never easy to part with a business that's been as much a part of my life as this business has been, but I have every confidence Dan will maintain the devotion to product quality and customer service that I have over the years. I'm sure that Dan will soon introduce himself to you on the website and provide some personal background that will help him serve you well in the coming years.

This transition will happen in the next several days, and in the meantime please feel free to email Dan at: dan [at] onepfoot.com or call him at (814) 969-9411 He will be happy to meet you.

And, very importantly, I'd like to thank my customers - and many have become friends over the years - for their support and enthusiasm. They have made this business and my workday a pleasure.

All the best,
Bill"
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

I get it, you guys do not like to see this stuff.

From my point of view, I'm salvaging garbage... this is the stuff that would have ended up in the trash can if I did not place a bid. I restore my reels to fish, not collect... Maybe this is not the right site for me. I do like all the information presented within this website, I just wished I had something more positive to contribute that others here might enjoy.

I've never sold anything under false terms. So do not get those ideas in your head.

I'm just a guy who likes reels, I hope there is a place for me to fit in here.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Not sure why you're feeling that way after what seems like a pretty informative post, as far as I can tell.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Charged...just read thru this thread. All I can say is, you did a good thing salvaging that "Trashed" Medalist. As for the work you put into it...another good thing! I congratulate you on fixing yourself up with a great old classic "user", that you can be proud of out on the water.

As for re-sale somewhere down the road...As a collector, you'll handle it properly. Shame on anyone, to even question that. As far as I can see (like Brian said) I don't see anyone doing that here. Stand by your personal integrity. :bow:
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Hello Charged,

I always get a thrill out of seeing how reels are fixed and how problems are solved using ingenuity when parts are not available. All reels were made to be used... except those wooden wonders of J.E's...even though they would work , they are too good to wear out with use.

Ray