Norm's McGill Model #38!

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Norm's McGill Model #38!

Post by john elder »

Well, the reel arrived that I rescued from the Longest Post on the sale board the other day (Thanks to Norm Pinardi for being a great sport!). It's a shame that some rhubarb decided to use this reel in saltwater at some point and never bothered to clean it up! It's a candidate for a labelled restore and should be able to return to work, but not for a collector, unfortunately !

Really interesting drag set-up...the spool turns against a drag stack that plays off internal plates that can rotate. As you tighten the drag nut, it compresses against the gold spool, thus providing drag.

The clicker gear is turning, so I'll have to figure out if that's correct or if it has come loose:

It also has an interesting control for changing the direction of allowed rotation. A button on the back has a setting for left, right and off...when rotated, a metal piece catches on a post and depending on from which side it catches the post, it will allow either right or left hand rotation...or be out of the way (as shown in this pic) when in the Off position.

we'll see if I can bring it back from the dead...
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Norm's McGill Model #38!

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Have you ever attempted a re-paint? I know that's a" No No" to collectors, but I have been tempted before. You can paint pretty smooth with a small compressor and pen type sprayer. After thinking about it my temptation was always to try a repaint on a Shakespeare Marhoff with severe boat rash. If Len Sawisch heard that I would probably be sentenced to eternal damnation in "Reel Collector's Hell".
Last edited by Jonathan P. Kring on Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

Cool John. I look forward to seeing your progress on this.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Here's what it should be like, if taken care of...
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Glad to see you've awakend from your deep sleep. Has being back in the work force gotten you down? You've got em all don't you?
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

Rick those are sweet looking.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, I was going to strip and repaint this reel and mark it as a restore...but after some thought, I decided that the old vet "is what it is"...cleaned off the corrosion...stripped off the flaking gold paint on the spool...lubed it up and it's back together. It's for sale...16 bucks! :D