breaking down a multiplier fly reel

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

breaking down a multiplier fly reel

Post by Kelly L »

Does anyone have a step by step, or even better, a video? I am getting pretty good at normal fly reels. But I am quite hesitant in pulling off multiplier gears. I looked on You Tube, and here. But if there is a sbs (preferably with pics), I missed it. I have all of my vintage reels cleaned now. I did give the two multipiers I have a bath, and cleaned, waxed, and lubricated them. But I did not take off the multiplier gears. One of the reels had not hardly been used. The other one was used a fair amount. One is a Daiwa, the other a J.W.Young.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: breaking down a multiplier fly reel

Post by john elder »

Take some pics and show us what you are dealing with, Kelly..it will be good for you and us too :D

Can't imagine how one could generalize about that question...every one is different, so hard to say without being into it. However, if you can see the gears and there is not major crap to deal with, just take a toothbrush full of hot sauce grease and lube them well and let it go at that. If there is old stuff that needs to be removed, just put it in mineral spirits and swish, brush rinse...should not take much to get it clean. Drain, pat dry and lube and you are good to go...just MHO!
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

Here are photos. They look like they would both be done the exact same to me.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I agree...but i can' t see any reason you'd want to pull those gears out. I would clean them with mineral spirits and a toothbrush..rinse with clean MS, then dry and re-grease and go fish them! Beautiful reels, Kelly!
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

John, I cleaned them initially with Boeshield, and a ton of it. I also used a toothbrush on everything I could get to. The reels had a bath. I am wondering about putting grease down there at the base of the spindle. Not sure if grease should go off down in there or not. I did put oil in there. I am talking about where the handle locks into the spindle. *The circle area that surrounds the spindle.) I wish there were books or videos on instances such as this, but if there is, I missed them. There was one okay video on You Tube. But it did not go into major cleaning. I just do the best I can, and hopefully I'll learn more. :-)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, I still don't think it's an issue...oil should be sufficient, but Ron Mc might say otherwise.

As it's shaping up, you are the one that should make the video! You can see that the "top" gear is held by that little spring clip. There are "pliers" specifically made to pull these off by putting its prongs in those two holes and then squeezing the handle...they work by reverse action from normal pliers so that squeezing opens them rather than closing on the piece so it opens the spring clip and allows removal...I'm sure they have a name...just don't know it! You can do the same thing with a bit of care and an ice pick or two, but you have to watch that the spring doesn't shoot across the room. Once that clip is off, then the gear should lift out. I can't see whether there is another clip that holds the main gear in place or not, but it may be held in place by the multiplier gear and come out directly after the latter is removed.

here are pics of the "pliers" you need...note that they come in different sizes, so you'll want to make sure the prongs fit the clip you have. I'm guessing that Radio Shack will have just what you need!
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

Ah yes, that is perfect. I have never seen pliers like that. I knew that clip would have to come off, but I was afraid I would break it. I had to remove clips before to switch a couple of Daiwa reels from lhw to rhw. It was not real simple. But they seemed sturdier. I used a small screwdriver to get them off. The problem was getting them back on. I used something like a needle nose plier to get the clip to go back in. The pliers you show are awesome. I need a pair, but I too, have no idea what it is called. I was afraid of what was under that gear, and did not want a part to go shooting off into space on me. I knew if that happened, I'd be up the proverbial creek. Thanks John! The clip you mentioned looks very flexible to me, so that also means, it just may snap. With pliers like that...I might be able to break it down further. I will check into it.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Those are snap ring pliers, used for removing and installingt snap rings. Try an automotive store and look for the kind with several tips that can be interchanged. They are made for intenral and external snap rings. You need those for external.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

Thank you Don! Now I know exactly what to ask for, when I am in a store looking. Between you and John, I might be able to get this thing going in the right direction. :-)
keebranch
Advanced Board Poster

Post by keebranch »

Nice reel Kelley. I have a multiplier which I use on my vintage glass 8wt. They're great for picking up line in a hurry.

Les
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

Thanks Les. I have never owned multipliers until now. I think it will be super cool to use these. It is gonna take a while to get the fly lines I need. I am going to be looking for some lines before too long. (hopefully on sale, or clearance)
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

I picked up a set of snap ring pliers today from Auto Zone. They are for internal or external use. I could not find just external ones. I believe this set will work well for me. 14.99 for the set. Not too bad. Thanks for the help once again guys.
Charged
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Charged »

Why wouldn't you pull the gears out? Every reel I have ever worked on has been completely dissembled. The one your working on Kelly, its really not that difficult. I have the Shakespeare version, and have fully reconstructed it after a break down.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

I was afraid I would break that clip. I was also worried what might be under there that tumbled out, when I opened it up. I now work on my reels in a box. I had a spring shoot across the room, never to be found again. I also have opened a reel, not knowing what to expect, and pieces came out before I could see how they were in...and it was challenging to get them back. I am new at breaking down reels, but I am getting better. (at least on the classics) I have not taken that clip off yet. I have one more fly reel to clean first.