Hard Rubber Reno with Simichrome

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Hard Rubber Reno with Simichrome

Post by john elder »

I got back from the convention and started putting reels away and noticed this little Montague fly reel that I'd never gotten around to cleaning...so I pulled it out, lubed and cleaned, then treated the sideplates with Simichrome, normally touted as the polish of choice for NS on reels...but as you see, it does a great job of killing that oxidation on the sideplates:

Pre-clean-up pics:
Image.and after applying Simichrome with a toothbrush, then lightly rubbing with 0000 steel wool/simichrome, followed by polishing with a clean rag:

Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Hard Rubber Reno with Simichrome

Post by Kelly L »

You used the steel wool and rubbed in with wet simichrome? Or did you let the simichrome dry, then rub it with 0000 steel wool? The reel looks much better. Awesome job!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

rubbed with Simichrome, wet...that limits the amount of scratching you get. In fact, I do the same when I treat metal parts, as well...the light steel wool makes the whole thing easier, but as with more abrasive cleaners like Flitz, you have to take care to take care!
ghstrydr164
Frequent Board Poster

Post by ghstrydr164 »

Hi John,

Is that the 60 yard model? Very nice job and reel.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I'm embarrassed to say that I'll have to look tonight, Cyrus...I think I have that reel in three sizes :shock:
ghstrydr164
Frequent Board Poster

Post by ghstrydr164 »

John, the reason I ask is because I am trying to fill out my collection. I am missing the 100 yard totally. My goal is to have all six sizes of the Hard Rubber & solid Nickel Silver Banded Montague Fly Reels. I need an 80 yard in solid N/S and a !00 yard in Solid N/S or Plated N/S.

I have these Hard Rubber & Nickel Banded Fly Reels:
2) 40 yard N/S, N/P
2) 60 yard N/S
2) 80 yard N/S no Handle, N/P
0) 100 yard
1) 150 yard N/S
1) 200 yard N/S
I also have 4 other Montague Fly Reels for trade or cash for purchase of a 100 yard Hard Rubber & Nickel Banded Montague reel.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice collection, Cyrus! Turns out mine is an 80 yd reel. My other ones turned out to all be JVH reels! I got to spend more time with my toys!