Frozen reel handle knobs

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
ibtx
Big ORCA Fan

Frozen reel handle knobs

Post by ibtx »

I have a reel handle that I can't get one of the knobs to budge on.
I can usually add a little oil and they will loosen. But no luck on this one. Any suggestions? Thanks
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Frozen reel handle knobs

Post by john elder »

give it the eyeball and make sure that the post is not bent...that happens a lot and oil won't fix. You can usually gently bend it back into upright position. then if regular oil does no good, soak it in Liquid Wrench or Kroil (in my hands, both work about the same) and see if that does any good. You can generally take advantage of some play to work the grasp back and forth to help get the lube inside. Hope this helps a bit!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I have seen them where the post (shaft) is bent inside the knob. This usually happened when they riveted the back side. In this case nothing will help except replace the post.
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

If not bent, run hot water over them, that will get them to spin, and try to get some oil in there before they cool!
ibtx
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ibtx »

I didn't have any Kroil and couldn't find my Liquid Wrench, so I gave the hot water a try.
After a few minutes under the hot water I had given up. I took a paper towel to dry the handle off and gave the handle knob one last twist and it finally broke free. It is still a little tight, but functional. Thanks all for the help.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, Ellis is good for something after all! :D :D :D he wins the Tip Of The Week award! Someone send him anything Bronson! :bow:
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

In response for anything Bronson, here's for you Robert. The weather forecast for Bronson, Michigan. Enjoy, Jon

24°F°C
H46° L31°

Fair
| Michigan
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

I am a big fan of Boeshield. It isn't cheap, but it sure works good. Ron told me about that, and I love the stuff now, won't do without it.