Coxe 25-2 Pawl Problem

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Coxe 25-2 Pawl Problem

Post by Bill Muth »

Cleaning a nice Coxe 25-2 tonight, but hit a problem. When I unscrewed the worm gear pawl housing, the pawl was apparently rusted into it and the pawl snapped off near the base. Found the spare pawl inside the face plate, but can't get the rusted base of the original pawl out of the housing to be able to insert the spare. Tried vinegar, WD-40, no luck. Any ideas?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Coxe 25-2 Pawl Problem

Post by john elder »

vinegar overnight? if so, wow...must be in there as tight as my salted langley pawl!
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Bill which level wind do you have? you can look in our site, we show a break down of them. On the early LW the line carriage has to be positioned in the middle of the LW cover, there is a hole there to remove and insert the pawls! If it is stuck hard, try the hot cold thing, I have an extra worm gear, but not the line carriage! so you can cut the worm gear to get better access to work on the line carriage! those pawls are made of some tuff material, but you might try drilling a hole so you can get in there with a easy out, or a screw to be able to pull on it?
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

I updated my previous comments! :idea: and now show the whole level wind break down of the early LW and the newer LW in our site! :type: The JA Coxe No.25's were very confussing to us, as we learned Bronson/Coxe used new old parts (NOS) on them, from the No.25, 25C, and the 25-2, you would not know what was inside until you took them apart? After the war, they re-stamped a lot of the No.25C's to No.25-2's, as shown in our site. They did indeed use up all their pre-war parts!
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Thanks guys. An overnight vinegar soak failed to do the trick, that little sucker is totally stuck. I now find myself in the market for a parts reel, only the pawl housing need be in nice condition.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Bill There are two diffrent styles of pawl housings and pawls found on Coxe 25-2's. They are not interchagable! Look at these two pawls and see which one of them is like yours ---- that will tell us which housing you are looking for...