hawthorn reel restoration

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
bufaloeletric
Big ORCA Fan

hawthorn reel restoration

Post by bufaloeletric »

found this hawthorne reel in a dilapidated home. i would like to try and restore it so as to get some practice in case i ever come across something else. i havent attempted anything like this before. from what i understand, electrolysis would remove the paint, and i do not have an ultrasonic cleaner. any guidance would be appreciated. thank you for your time.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Re: hawthorn reel restoration

Post by Rick H »

First...Welcome to the Reel Talk Forum! You picked the best site for advice on reel restoration. However, we ARE a little weak, in the area of "miracles". That Hawthorne of your's...would normally be considered beyond help. But I have a feeling that you would like to give it a shot anyway. So heres the best I can offer (short of a miracle). Your spool, pillars, foot and screws are likely beyond repair. With that level of corrosion, the best you could hope for is massive pitting, once you get down to base-metal. There won't be any plating left on the spool or foot. The pillars (at least the one I can see) might hold out a little hope. the Green side plates don't seem to be all that bad. IF you can get the reel apart and the guts out, a good scrubbing with dish-soap, medium hot water and a toothbrush may breath some life back into those side-plates.

The rest of the parts need sandpaper and steel wool, in my humble opinion. There's three options, once down to bare metal. 1) paint the (once chromed) parts with a chrome or silver spray paint or 2) have the parts re-chromed. 3) find replacement parts and re-build the reel. The cost of re-chroming though, will be more than the reel is worth and replacement parts will add up also. You'll not likely get your investment back, if you decide to sell it one day.

Honestly, you'd be better off finding an exact copy on eBay or at a reel show. One in great condition shouldn't be much more than $25. BUT...if you really want to try cleaning this one...there isn't much you can do to hurt it (anymore). I've taken on some ugly ducklings in my time, but none that would match the caliber you have there. Good Luck!