Narrow Spool LA Coxe Cleanup

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Narrow Spool LA Coxe Cleanup

Post by john elder »

My buddy, Bud Chaddock was fortunate enough to find this really tough LA Coxe 4/0 narrow spool reel. I’m not sure just how rare it is, but I have only seen one other and it’s in my collection! At any rate, some very paranoid fellow had spent great effort in engraving his name and XXs all over the place! There must have been very untrustworthy sorts on the party boats he frequented! The foot had been worked a bit as well and the reel was a dirty pig, but definitely a diamond in the rough.
Bud sent it down to see what could be done and I think it came out pretty nice, considering the starting product….left hand pics are the “befores” and right-hand pics the “afters”:

The fellow had even engraved on the back of the handle; a very light touch with a mini-sanding disc on a mototool, followed by three grits of sandpaper down to wet-dry, then steel wool and finally a Simichrome polish did wonders for these spots as well as marks on the reel seat (I LOVE nickel silver!)

The innards of the reel were virtually as new, so in spite of all the exterior abuse, the reel must not have gotten that much play on the water. The construction of this “screwed” model of the LA Coxe was identical to the 6/0 and 9/0 screwed versions that I have done in the past.
An external oil port on the faceplate allows getting oil directly to the gears and the drag is a double washer system with one washer on each side of the drive gear. Two heavy-duty anti-reverse dogs ensure that the reel has a fighting chance against some serious fish.
The screwed model is unique in that it has an internal rigid frame with cross-members and foot that are riveted as one piece with the back plate.
As far as I can tell, the only way to take the reel down further would be to cut the rivets and there was certainly no need for that here!
A clean and lube and it was back together again and on its way back to Bud.
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Narrow Spool LA Coxe Cleanup

Post by Kelly L »

Nice work! It sure looks a lot better now.
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

I chatted with Bud recently and he told me that he was still waiting for you to send back those reels that he gave you to clean a couple years ago :roll:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Oh, shoot...I guess I never told him that I ebay'd those reels!...my bad! :oops: :D
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

You do "excellent" work though, wish some of that would rub off on me! :)
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice job. When you say narrow spool, what is the width of it relative to a regular 4/0 spool width?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Good question, Brian and one that should open up more discussion and probably worth its own thread. Here’s a pic of several LA Coxe reels, from 9/0 on the left to 6/0 to the “narrow” spool (mine, not Bud’s) to a 4/0. It’s sorta not fair, since the 9/0, 6/0 and narrow spool are “screwed” models and the 4/0 is a quick take-down version, but it’s the best I can do…don’t have a “screwed” 4/0 regular and don’t know if they were made, but probably so.

I called the narrow spool reel a 4/0 because it was smaller than the 6/0 in diameter; Narrow spool is 4 inches and the 6/0 is 4 ½ inches diameter. Now, if you compare to the 4/0 quick take-down reel, the latter is in fact, smaller yet, at 3 ½ inch diameter and I also have Bronson 4/0s of this same diameter.

But now if you compare the width of the narrow spool reel and the 4/0, they are both about the same total width: narrow spool is 3 inches and the 4/0 is 2 7/8 inches; but the spool width on the narrow spool is 1 3/4 inches while the 4/0 is 2 1/4 inches. I have a Bronson 4/0 that is wider yet at 2 1/2 inches. The 6/0 spool is 2 3/8 inches wide:

I figured the beefier construction of the screwed models, termed the Catalina Swordfish Tuna Reel in the one ad I have, made most of the difference with the "normal" 4/0, but maybe the Narrow spool model is just an altogether different beast...or maybe it's simply the 4/0 version of the CST reel! The catalog ad indicates that the reel was sold in 4/0, 6/0 and 9/0 sizes and indicates the 4/0 will hold 500 yds of 9-thread (compared to 300 yds of 24 thread for a 6/0)...dunno if that narrow spool will hold that much or not. Hopefully, Ed Pritchard will look in and add to the discussion. I'm sure he has the skinny on this issue.
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Those group pictures are gorgeous, :bow: I think I know a place to store them where the whole world could see, later on after you are done with this thread! :roll:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

thanks, Robert! (and Kelly and Brian!) Yes, it was nice to get them out of the case, line them up and admire them...I don't do that enough!

I thought I'd post the Coxe ad about the Catalina Swordfish Tuna "screwed" reel:

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

It would seem to me that the reels you and Bud have are just the 4/0 version of the screwed model and that you really can't compare them to the Bronson model.

(and hey, what's that crud doing on the arbor of the 9/0 :D )
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

John,

Thanks for making me aware of this post, it slipped by me.

NICE CLEAN UP ON THE REEL JOHN!

Yes, the third reel in your line-up, the one you cleaned so nicely, is the standard 4/0 L.A. Coxe. It would appear that you have a 9/0, 6/0 and 4/0 L.A.Coxe and a 4/0 Bronson made reel (please correct me if I am wrong about the last reel being a Bronson reel). The first three reels - the 4/0, 6/0, and 9/0 are pretty much the standard L.A. Coxe line-up.

A few L. A. Coxe fun facts -

Some L.A. Coxe reels have round drag knobs instead of star shaped drags.

Supposedly the reels that are stamped with the stylized "JAC" logo were made by Coxe personally.

The no screw model was made in the 10/0 - 9/0 - 3/0 and 1/0 sizes.

I have seen the screw model in sizes to include the 16/0 - 12/0 - 10/0 - 9/0 - 6/0 - 4/0 and 20/0 cradle.

Here are some photos of some pretty rare L. A. Coxe reels. I have posted some of these photos previously so please excuse me if you have already seen some of them.

L.A. Coxe 1/0 - no screw - pop-out anti-reverse:

L.A. Coxe 3/0 no screw - round drag knob - exterior mounted brass anti-reverse - "JAC" logo:

L.A. Coxe 10/0 narrow spool - no screw:

L.A. Coxe 10/0 screw model - very early:

L.A. Coxe 12/0 - screw model - Cataloged as the "Zane Grey" Coxe reel. Cost - $750.00 in 1930:

L.A. Coxe - 20/0 cradle - Zane Grey trying it on for size:

L.A. Coxe 16/0 - early - Belonged to Zane Grey:

L.A. Coxe swordfish reels. I am still doing some research on these reels. They have different materials used in their construction and have "swordfish" on the end caps with little tuna etched on their caps as well. I saw an ad for them a long time ago and according to the ad they are built stronger than the average reel. Notice the stylized JAC logo on the foot of the one reel. These reels were made in the 9/0 size:

I hope folks find this interesting...

Ed
Last edited by reeltackle on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Thanks for sharing, Ed, REALLY interesting!
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Wow! I never had imagined! Thank you Ed :D
Bud Chaddock
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bud Chaddock »

Great stuff Ed. Just a nice group of reels. I remember working on party boats when I was 12 and seeing older gentelman fishing with stuff like this laughing to myself with my Penn reel in my hand. Now I wish I would have traded them my 500 for them when I had a chance back then. Just always something new to learn. Should work on getting some paperwork and frame an ad like yours for the room next to them. Johns work was as fine as you can get. My wife said thats not the same reel. I replied you are so right thanks to Johns handy work. Robert always good looking at your Website. Good to see new stuff added to expand ones knowledge.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, Ed! Fantastic display and thanks for posting all the great info!...and no!...that is not a Bronson 4/0 reel!...it's from LA!