micro fiber cloth

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

micro fiber cloth

Post by Chuck Gano »

ive been using these micro-fiber cloths lately to clean or dust reels,really works great,i got mine from my sons auto repair shop,he said a jobber dropped them off to try in the detail shop but he cant remember who it was since he had no plans to use them, im sure they would be easy to find,i tried it on a really dirty reel and was quite impressed with it, and they can be washed to use over and over, i used to use the regular shop rags he gets but quit when i scratched a reel bad with a peice of metal left in the rag from a machine shop or something, try them youll be impressed
charlie
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: micro fiber cloth

Post by Don Champion »

We had them available when I was working and we used them for polishing machined edges of plexiglass or lexan. Worked really well for that. I didn't try them on metal.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

I only use microfiber cloths. I keep one as a "polish" rag, and never wash it. The others I wash together when I have a pile of about 30-40 of them. They dont leave any lint behind, and they dont leave any marks in the thinnest of plating, or the glossiest of materials.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey guys, would Swiffer cloths qualify as microfiber cloth? They surely pick up dirt and i have used them a couple times on reels, but never did a serious test.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

I wouldn't consider Swiffer as microfiber. Swiffer is great for dry dusting tho! No way they would win the battle against an old winch with 50 years of barn crud and dried grease! Plus, you'd use them once and have to toss them. Expensive! You can grab the microfiber cloths in small packs at auto part stores, etc...but you can get the bulk packs at Sams Club for allot cheaper per rag. I have had the same rags for years! They come out of the washer looking like crap with all the grease stains, but they still work great. Personally I think they work better and get softer with every washing. (that's what I tell myself to keep from buying more) Pick up a pack, they are great for lots of things around the house!
Scott
Reelholder
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Reelholder »

I buy some real thick Micro fiber cloths at the local guitar store for deep safe cleaning older guitars or dusting polished guitars. They're way too expensive to accumulate 40 dirty ones. But for the right job, they are worth it...mine are marked "Fender" the famous guitar company.
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

Home Depot is where I buy mine.
stidog
Advanced Board Poster

Post by stidog »

A quick tip from the car detailing side of me, if you wash the microfiber, do not use liquid fabric softener and when you dry them do not use a dryer sheet. They muck up the microfiber horribly. My detail guy in Memphis is a huge pile of electrostatic electricity because he won't let his wife use any type of fabric softener/dryer sheet at all since he washes his work rags at home. According to him even the old dryer sheets leave stuff on the dryer drum and muck up the rags. Hence I line dry mine, only the best for the Shelby :)