Clean the reel or darken the oil caps?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Clean the reel or darken the oil caps?

Post by Richard Lodge »

Not sure what to do with this King Pennell, a really well-made double handled reel. It works just fine, so I don't need (or want) to do a major take apart of this one. The discoloration is a little darker than I'd like but it's a "patina" that helps the reel show that it's been around for quite a few decades. I picked up the jeweled oil caps from an ORCA member (thanks, Dick) and I'm pretty sure they are close to the original style (and they fit perfectly). But, as you can see, they are bright and look new, quite unlike the reel. What you would you do? Clean the reel so it's shiny and nice, to match the oil caps? Or is there something I can put the caps in to darken them, chemically, to match more closely the aging of the reel? Let me know what you think, and thanks!
Richard

Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Clean the reel or darken the oil caps?

Post by Brian F. »

I would think your reel would look really good with a level of cleaning like John E or Steve would do (not buffed), especially with that green stuff happening on the spool too.
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

Richard,

Nickle over brass caps (especially if chromed) are never going to age like nickel silver alloy. It is a very cool reel, though.

Send it to me and I'll send it back as soon as I find better end caps . . . really . . . I promise to look for them as hard as I looked for work while collecting unemployment checks when the factory laid me off in the middle of fishing season back in 1969 . . .

Len "I-got-a-D-in-ethics" Sawisch
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

Len: Thanks for hour advice. i put the reel and $20,000 in unmarked 20-dollar bills in the mail, addressed to you, today. Keep an eye on your mailbox.
:wink:
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

Richard,

That sounds good. Just to be safe, I moved the mail box into my Living room.

Will keep you in the loop . . .

Len "Peaking-and-Freaking" Sawisch