Tight plastic knobs

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Tight plastic knobs

Post by Wayne B. »

Early production reels that incorporated plastic knobs (1950's) seem to have knobs that are "sticky", "tight but turn", etc., etc. I have tried oiling them. I'm not sure if that hurts or helps the situation.

I am assuming the old plastics didn't have the additives that new plastics have to resist swelling and attack by common cleaning compounds. And I also have to assume that common solvents in one's house included ones like Carbon Tetra-chloride and Acetone. These will attack and destroy most common plastics today.

My question is...Given the fact that the knobs are now sticky, is there something that can be injected in the "lube" hole that will provide abrasive qualities to loosen up parts, rather than to try oil-based products.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Tight plastic knobs

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I had one recently that I let soak in white vinegar and water overnight ,then oiled them, now work fine.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Wayne,

On pinned knob applications I have soaked the unit in dish-soapy water for a while to loosen up the gunk, then spin vigorously while in the water, dried by tapping in my palm & then w/ a cool blow dryer setting. After dry I'll put a drop of Armor All or Plaskolite on the end and spin through to the other side. It takes a little while but usually helps a lot and doesn't damage anything. Armor All provides a slick lubed surface without collecting dirt. Plaskolite dries without any film and works a little better on exposed plastic surfaces, kind of like Novus . Works good on display reels, but water will degrade Armor All fairly quickly on users so you may have to reapply for awhile.

Tom
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

If the reels were cleaned with either gasoline or WD-40 or had t applied to them it can cause some plastics to get soft and sticky. It depends on the number and type of polymers it contains. I don't know of a solution to correct that.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Don:

I'm with you. I think most "sticky knobs" are a result of using agents that attacked the plastic years ago and made them swell.

Wayne
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

I've found that my ultra sonic cleaner frees them up most of the time.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Al, i think Wayne and Don are referring to actual drgradation of the plastic rather than frozen knobs, although in some cases, the problems go hand in hand. Robert Ellis reported putting them under hot water for a bit to loosen them up and allow one to get lube in there to keep them moving, as well.

If you look at certain eras, particularly at times when makers were transitioning to use of plastic, they had lots of problems...examples are the early plastic components on Pfl Medalist fly reels and Heddon runts. Problem grasps may fall into this same category and are on their way to total degradation. The runt boyz store their suspect lures in the freezer, which apparently retards the process...now, that's fun collecting!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Another cause of frozen knobs (those that will not turn freely) is that when they peen the pin that holds the knob the pin bent on the inside of the knob. This happened more often than thought. The only solution is to replace the pin or the handle. I have taken the knobs off many handles and found this prkoblem.
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

I totally agree with both of the last 2 posts. I was simply stating that I have had good luck so far. Most of the sticky or stuck knobs that I have encountered finally freed up after a good hot bath in my U S brass cleaner. (I also re-load).
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

boeshield is good for that
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

While not for the faint of heart... I have wrapped tight knobs in electrical tape and then inserted them in the chuck of a variable speed drill. I spin the knob slowly at first and ease my way up to full speed. This often works to loosen the knob. But, not always.

Dean.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Dean:

I tried this on a spare Ocean City handle/knob. Trying to find something before re-peening. I must have kept it turning too long or too fast, because the knob apparently melted due to the friction and stuck hard to the shaft.

Re-peening, here I come!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Note to self: self, don't buy any Ocean City's from my favorite seller Wayne.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Note to self: Self...might as well put that one on an auction site, can't stick this one with Jon...again! Easy money is gone.

:D :D :D
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Good to see you,ve still got a sense of humor!