Old Scotch tape removal tips

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Old Scotch tape removal tips

Post by wrong99 »

Looking for the best way to remove ancient Scotch tape from reel boxes, without ruining the box in the process. Thanks.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Old Scotch tape removal tips

Post by john elder »

Some solvents okay, but i have never found anything that beats a hair dryer. Just get it warm and once you get an edge up, just chase it off with heat.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

If this was several years ago I would have told you to use carbon tetrachloride which was a cleaning fluid. It's been banned because it was toxic. So what? Many other cleaning fluids (most of them) are also toxic. With the carbon tetrachloride you could have put the whole side of the box in the liquid and lifted the tape off in 10 seconds with no gum or stain remaining. Also it wouldn't fade the printing or loosen the water soluble adhesive. There are several cleaning fluids left that might also work. I'll check around and see what I can find and post it here. They always get rid of the good stuff.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Back again. What you might try is called Guardsman Professional Strength Dry Cleaning Fluid, available at Wal-Mart. It may contain or be made of tertachlorethylene which is somewhat closely related to carbon tet. Try it on a couple of other item first though, like an old piece of tape on cardboard and perhaps a postage stamp on a letter. It is not flammable but use it in a well ventilated area and wear rubber gloves. It is toxic.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks, guys.
Mark
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

I buy a lot of old records and naphtha works very well to remove price stickers and tape on the cardboard covers. Just put a drop on and spread it a bit to cover the tape/sticker. Let it sit for a minute or three. It should just lift off. Wipe off any remaining glue with a bit more on a rag. The dark spot will evaporate in a few minutes without leaving a stain. Lighter fluid is mostly naphtha and comes in a handy dispenser but is far more expensive per ounce. I refill an empty lighter fluid can with Naphtha that I buy in a gallon can for cleaning reels and other stuff..
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I can see that this could turn into a very nice addendum to the reel restoration book. I would certainly like to see some good methods for rescuing paper products in general; for regluing and repair of old boxes; and for removal of dirt, water marks and fungal invasions. I have used lighter fluid to clean boxes with some success, but have been underwhelmed by the results...perhaps Jim's suggestion of using pure naptha might work better.

I managed to clean quite a bit off an old box the other day using GelGloss, a product sold for cleaning fiberglass boats and tubs that also works great for cleaning lures. It does okay, but as with water-based cleaners, you will start to lose writing if you stay too long.

Any other hints? Not sure what methods Joe Nelson uses on lure boxes, but people rave about his work.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

From what I've read, there was a change a few years ago to eliminate naphtha from some lighter fluids for some reason, although the substitutes are very similar. I haven't used LF for many years after I learned that they were mostly naphtha which was far cheaper. That was in the days when I carried a Zippo in one pocket and a folding knife in the other. Now-a-days, either could get me in trouble. :(

Just to be clear, my use of naphtha has only been for removing items stuck with stick-on adhesive, not for general cleaning. However. back when technical drawings were done on paper there used to be a cloth bag filled with some granular material for cleaning the finished drawing. It took off all the extraneous smudges, fingerprints, and so forth without affecting the pencil lines. Don't know if they're still used anymore or what they're called but it might be useful for cleaning paper items.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Re: the Guardsman mentioned above. The MSDS indicates it is comprised of two types of NAPTHA, XYLENE, OCTAMETHYLCYCLOTETRA AND ETHYLBENZENE. Which means it should work. Just wear rubber gloves and use in a well ventilated area. It is not very flammable but the fumes could bother you.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Jim, I think that is just gum eraser that has been powdered. I have heard of that, but have not tried it. Perhaps lobbing box into a tumbler full of that material would be the way to go, as long as you didn't fall asleep and forget it!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I think El has some advice on restoring/cleaning boxes on here that came from her notes when she did a seminar at the 2005 national. I know she has written about how to save boxes and such but can't remember where.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

[quote However. back when technical drawings were done on paper there used to be a cloth bag filled with some granular material for cleaning the finished drawing. ][/quote]

Eraser Bag, AKA in some drafting circles as a "Scum Bag"
An eraser bag or cleaning pad is a porous cloth bag filled with powdered eraser material. The eraser powder when deposited on paper and gently rubbed can remove light smudges and hand prints from graphite drawings.

Note: The eraser bag should be gently squeezed and shaken above the surface of the paper to deposit the powder on the surface. A soft cleanable cloth can then be used to wipe the smudges off. It is best not to use the bag itself. When the bag is used it gets dirty, and once it is dirty it cannot be cleaned or washed.

They are still available. :o

Tom
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Possibly this is why they were called "scum bags"...?

http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/ ... ctID=17763

Apparently the powder is, or was, available loose.

This putty stuff sounds like it might have some potential for cleaning paper too...

http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/ ... ctID=17000
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I have tried silly putty and also wallpaper cleaner...the Crustys among us will remember our moms using that to clean wallpaper back in the 50s-60s. As with all of it, it works to a degree to clean paper. Perhaps I just expect too much!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I still have a Scum-X in my drafting desk drawer, resting peacefully in its box, from house plan drawing days. Dietzgen was the best. :)

Not many are aware of this purpose:
One day an eraser manufacturer was wondering what to do with all the excess flakes and powder that was created when real erasers are cut down to their actual shape. Then eureka! Stuff them into a cloth bag and sell them to baseball pitchers so they can mop the sweat off their brows. :loco:

Tom
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

john elder wrote: Perhaps I just expect too much!
Maybe so. I don't think there's any way to remove the effects of age, at least not at a reasonable cost.

I think answers may be found at paper conservation and archiving places, but some of that stuff is a bit pricey, for me at least. The trick is to find similar products packaged for more mundane purposes.

These sponge erasers seem like they might be useful in some instances. There's also links to similar products near the bottom.

http://www.amazon.com/Absorene-Dirt-Era ... B001LJUKJK
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Has anyone ever found anything that will remove "foxing" from old paper/books?