Crook Ball-handled reel redo

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Crook Ball-handled reel redo

Post by john elder »

Board Maven Steve Vernon was kind enough to send me a J.W Crook reel to try and do a rescue. some before and after pics are shown below. It's not perfect, but I think most of the fatal flaws are now repaired....reel runs fine and the drag button works nicely....a bit shiny at the moment, but should mellow nicely with time. The only thing that's still wrong about is that the handle is the wrong size. This one is 2 1/2 inches and it should be 3" for this 3" diameter reel. So, I thought I'd mention that in hopes that one of you BHR collectors might need a shorter handle and have a longer one for trade? If so, let me know and we can make it happen. Regardless, we'll put this reel in the silent auction at the Nationals and it can go home with someone!

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Crook Ball-handled reel redo

Post by Paul M »

Nice job, especially on the dents!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Pretty amazing, JE, as usual!
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Better than a good job Pres. :bow: Could it be from following guidelines in the ORCA Resto book ? :wink:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, guys! The bad news, good news about brass is that it's easy to bend, scratch and mar, but also amenable to being restored to original condition or nearly so. On this one, you can still see a couple spots where material had been lost along the rim. I suspect this could be filled in by soldering, but i decided to stop short of that. It still needs the Champion/Manuel treatment to remove some file marks, but i must put out other fires before the Nationals get here!
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Nice job !

Dean.