Bail Springs

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
LEF
Frequent Board Poster

Bail Springs

Post by LEF »

In regards to my continuing frustration with bail springs (I think I hold the record for ruining them), I can't figure out where to tighten the diameter of the spring or expand it (increase the diameter) when attaching the bail wire assembly. Or to put it another way goes the anchoring part of the spring go when loading the bail assembly. Thanks
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Bail Springs

Post by Midway Tommy D »

They work both ways. Some are made to tighten in and some expand out, it depends on the manufacturer of the reel. If you don't work on them all the time take a quick pic of the spring in the tube/channel after you've removed the bail plate and before you've taken the spring out of its "nest". Then you can put it, or another one, back in just like it was before. You can also check a duplicate working reel by loosening the bail screw a little, slightly lifting the bail plate and peeking in under to see which direction it winds. Dick probably has them memorized but what models are you working on and maybe I've got something similar I can check?

Tom
LEF
Frequent Board Poster

Post by LEF »

Thanks for the note. The photo is a good idea, I'll have to start doing that, since on some days I can't remember my own name :D . The reel is a Phlueger Supreme 551. This one was all jammed and locked up.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Lee,
If you are just changing the bail spring you can do it as indicated below. If you're completely servicing the reel you can start like this, take a few pics and make some notes and put it back together following the last part of these steps. BTW, Click on the pics to enlarge them.
1. Remove the bail wire nut and take the bail wire & roller out of the bail plate:

2. Remove the opposite side bail screw and take the bail off. There is no recess or spring on that side:

3. The bail plate has a slot that the u-shaped end of the bail spring fits into. You can loosen the bail spring plate screw a little and insert a shim, i.e. tooth pick or something similar, to see where the spring end & slot is located when the bail plate has a little tension and is resting against the cup stop. It will be on the bail stop side of the spring channel tube:

4. Loosen the screw and remove the bail plate. The spring tension will relax and move counter clockwise about 1/3 -1/2 turn:

The bail spring will have a bend out on one end and a u-shaped extension on the other end. The bent out end goes in the slot in the spring channel. The u-end goes in the slot in the bail plate. At rest the spring will need to be turned clockwise, i.e. in, about a half rotation for the bail plate to set properly against the stop on the outside of the spring tube. You can do this by putting the spring in the slot in the plate, gradually starting the bail plate screw, turn the entire assembly a little until the bail plate stop goes into the correct position, push down and tighten the bail plate screw all the way. Then put the bail off-side screw/plate on loosely, you'll have to manually slide the bail trip a little to get it into place, and slip the bail & roller back into the bail plate and tighten the nut, then the off side plate screw...... Done :)
If you are completely servicing/cleaning the reel and all its parts do this step toward the end before you add the spool or handle.

FYI, Changing bail springs on the Pflueger 550, 600, Shakespeare 20...52, 62, 64, 65, 68, 70, 71, 80, 81, 90, 91, ...A's, etc. .... Ted Williams III, IV, VI, 470 .... some Sears and J.C. Higgins models and Bronson Black Hawk 264 and Sea Wolf 290 can be accomplished using basically the same process.

Hope that helps a little,
Tom
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, LEF, I feel your pain! I have spent a lot of hours trying to wrestle those springs to the ground with marginal success and many great failures!

Tom, I now know where to send my next hard case! :-].....thanks for the great tutorial!
LEF
Frequent Board Poster

Post by LEF »

Tom,
Thank you , Thank you Thank you,
That is beautiful and really appreciated. I think you description should be part of a permanent file
on the ORCA website. It is really good. Thanks again.
Lee
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Agreed! Done! Sticky! I think there are likely more helpful things that could be added under bail springs by others...maybe they will come along!