Getting Started

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
SC Fly Guy
Big ORCA Fan

Getting Started

Post by SC Fly Guy »

This is my first post ... at least I think it is. I've been trolling this site for a long time and I have gained a ton of useful insights. Over the past several years. I've been amassing vintage reels from garage/estate sales, flea markets, etc. No amazing finds, but a bunch of nice spinning reels (i.e., Mitchell's, Luxor's, etc.), various fly reels, and a good assortment of casting reels.

Most of the reels are in decent working condition, but I have the usual issues. I'm ready to start learning to clean, restore, and service these reels and I'm interested in recommendations for basic tools and equipment to get started. I plan on ordering the ORCA compilation, but if there's another resource or place you can point me, I would really appreciate it. I have an entry level set of gunsmith screwdrivers and other tools that a fly tyer and rod builder would have, but I am sure that there are other tools tags will come in handy.

Again, I know this is a newbie question, but I'd appreciate the help. Thanks and happy holidays to all.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Getting Started

Post by Midway Tommy D »

SC Fly Guy,

Welcome to the forum! As I'm sure you already know, there is an unprecedented amount of information in the annals of this organization and many knowledgeable souls that are more than willing to tutor along the way.

My first suggestions would be:
1. Learn to proficiently to use the Search feature at the top right corner of the page. While there are exceptions, the majority of questions or issues you may come across have more than likely already been discussed more than once in the past. Finding the answers quickly puts you back in business fast and lessens frustration.
2. Don't hesitate to make some of your own specialty tools or equipment now and then. A couple of examples are to take a large bladed stubby screwdriver and file the end to an appropriate thickness and arch. Many slotted screws/bolts on the faces of fly and spinning reels and bail plate screws were made so they could be removed with a coin. Be particular with the arc and blade thickness, this will prevent a lot of buggered screws. You can also make a tool to remove slotted nuts that have the stud protruding in the center by filing a slot in the center of the appropriate sized screwdriver blade.
3. Always remember that most standard screwdriver blades are tapered and most slotted reel screw heads are not, so you want make sure you use the correct bit in the slot.

Go slowly and be patient,
Tom
SC Fly Guy
Big ORCA Fan

Post by SC Fly Guy »

Thanks Tom. I'm continuing to search and I have been developing a list of cleaning materials and tools to acquire. I do have some good polishing materials on hand as I restore (and collect!) vintage writing instruments. As I transition toward retirement, I fish a lot more than I write, so I'm turning my attention to vintage and classic rods and reels. I'll likely wait until after the holidays to get started since this is (theoretically?!) my son's last long winter break before graduating from Clemson next May. I have a Julius Vom Hofe that I'd like to restore, but I'll practice on a few 'beaters' first. Santa may have some books, etc. under the tree ... I've been especially good this year ... except for picking up nearly every reel I see?!?
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

The book ORCA has for sale covers most everything and is the best. There are other books on the market which cover the basics
such as: