Mail call

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Mail call

Post by Paul M »

An older lady from the Pacific Northwest contacted me after seeing my website. She wanted to sell an old reel that she inherited from her father. He had bought it some time ago from an estate sale. I knew what reel to expect as I had seen some fuzzy pics and I bought it. The reel arrived in the mail today. I was not expecting the way it was packed. She had mailed the reel in a thin bubble lined envelope with no extra padding at all :doh: The reel had taken quite a few bumps along the way, starting in Washington, then routed to California :bash:, then back north to British Columbia :bash: before it headed east and landed here in Toronto :bash:. I opened my front door as the postman was trying to stuff the envelope through the narrow mail slot :bash:, not realizing the thickness of the contents. My heart sank :Bawl: when he apologized... as he handed the tattered package to me. The mailer was inside a Canada Post plastic bag, preprinted with an apology, intended to keep the contents together.

Here is what was in the envelope BEFORE:

Notice curled foot. It didn't start out that way from the pics I originally saw-

Notice the bent handle. It didn't start out that way from the pics I originally saw-

I decided to clean it up and try to restore the shape as well as I could. I am really happy with the results.

AFTER:

I want to thank John Elder for the encouragement to straighten the foot and handle. One of Don Champion’s tips in the ORCA Cleaning, Repairing and Restoring Antique Fishing Reels guide helped a great deal. I think I straightened the foot in a different way than intended but it worked perfectly for me and seems to have left no new marks at all. This is a nice antique "CONROYS MAKERS NY" ball handle multiplier reel and I am glad that I was able to straighten out the foot and handle. As a bonus, it works nearly as well as it did when it was made 150 -170 years ago (by the J. & J.C. Conroy Co.") and unlike many old reels like this that I have seen, the screw head slots came in perfect shape.
Last edited by Paul M on Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
marius
Frequent Board Poster

Re: Mail call

Post by marius »

indeed a lovely reel! and what a pity it had kept it's shape for more than 150 year, up until its latest ride - it got beaten up pretty bad but you have saved it for another 150 years. well done!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I dunno, Paul. That was a rockin' reel when you got it. A little twist to the foot, and it could have been an oscillating level-winder. Try mailing it :canada to yourself, but use an unlined envelope.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Wonderful job, Paul! Nice save! The condition of those screws and the gearing you showed me in email is truly rare and amazing. It must never have been touched!
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Great job Paul !!! And to think.....if she'd sent it to me, here in Washington State, it probably wouldn't have made it in one piece!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Great job Paul, regardless of how you repaired it. You also must have had a bit of luck on your side. It's hard to straighten a foot that is bent that much. I'm also glad any tip I may have passed on helped you out. Saving one reel like that makes the cost of the book worth it.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to All!