Cleaning Station & First Project

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
SC Fly Guy
Big ORCA Fan

Cleaning Station & First Project

Post by SC Fly Guy »

I posted for the first time a couple of weeks ago about getting started in cleaning and restoring some of the reels that I have accumulated over the past several years. To get started, I assembled a fairly portable cleaning station as shown below. The base is a 15" x 20" poly cutting board from the notorious discount store (about $12). The sides are some 3" x 3" polar I had laying around. On the back, I drilled a bunch or holes with a Forstner bit to hold various cleaning solutions. To keep it portable, I bought a few spray bottles ($1.50 each) and used some shampoo bottles from my hotel stays to hold cleaning solutions, alcohol, polishes, etc. on the left hand side, I drilled a bunch of holes for bits from an entry level Weaver gun screwdriver set ($15 from Amazon) and added some holes for precision screwdrivers, the driver handles, and a B&D power screwdriver ($15). The holes for the driver bits are 5/16" and have a neodymium magnet at the bottom to hold the bit should a spill occur. The magnets come from Hobby Lobby. On the right hand side, I added a rack for some small pliers and added a few more holes for tweezers and additional cleaning and lubes. All told, I guess I have about $75-100 in it, tools included. I live and work in SC, but have a summer home in upstate NY that I intend to spend more and more time at ... portability is a big plus.

My first project was a Shakespeare True Blue 1956 (Model FK) that my wife picked up. I gave her general guidance that if she finds a reel for less than $10, pick it up. It was the first reel I really took apart and it was a good learning experience. It came out pretty good.

My next project is a Vom Hofe that was given to me. It's unmarked except on the handle it says 'Made by Vom Hofe - NY.' It's in decent shape, but is very dirty and the foot has been modified, including a hole drilled in one side.

As I am a newbie, I would appreciate any thoughts and recommendations. I do have a copy of the ORCA Cleaning and Restoration Manual and I am learning a lot. I'll be joining in the next couple of days! Sorry for the long post.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Cleaning Station & First Project

Post by Brian F. »

Nice setup and thanks for sharing.

This is a previous post that may have some helpful info but we lost the photos to our old repository (we don't plan to make that same mistake again, by the way): viewtopic.php?p=2075&highlight=#2075
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Cleaning Station & First Project

Post by john elder »

Beautiful setup! if you smear some grease and dirt around it will look more like mine! :-).... Enjoy!