Removing spring rings

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Removing spring rings

Post by jimbofish »

What's the best/easiest method to remove one of those wire spring rings, especially the small ones? The ones I'm referring to are just a single spring-wire ring with a small gap. They snap into a groove on a post or shaft.

Installing is easy, just push it over the post and it snaps into the groove. Removing is more complicated. There's not much space to get a tool into the gap and they tend to spin around the shaft. Is there a special tool for these?
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Re: Removing spring rings

Post by OCauto »

I have a pretty good assortment of pics of different configurations that I use pretty successfully. I have also taken an old set of nut picks and shaped and modified to accomplish different tasks. I find the difficult part is finding the clip after it goes sproooing and lands on the floor or who knows where. I usually utilize a small piece 8"X8" of lexan that I can see through and minimize the clips flight path.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I start them with a couple of fine dental pics. Once I get an end started I secure that end with a pair micro needle nose pliers and work the other end around and out of the groove. I do it inside a 5 gal bucket with part of the top covered to reduce the area for the clip to get out and, as Al stated, go sproooing onto the floor or landing who knows where. :? You can also add a little piece of duct or electrical tape on one end before you start prying to contain the spring at that point. I hate hearing them little turds ricocheting off the walls. :x

Tom
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Which reels are you talking about that have the springs? The one that comes to mind are the Shakespeares that have the small spring holding the pinion gear in place. But perhaps you are talking about more modern reels.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Shakespeare is exactly what I'm talking about! Specifically a 1785. I did manage to get the pinion spring out. That one was fairly large. The others I need to remove are under the spinnerhead, holding the pickup pin arm in place. They're only about 3/16" diameter and there are two.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Nice to know that I am not the only one who has seen these fly off at warp speed never to be seen again. The particular spring clip that has been my nemesis is the somewhat larger clip that hold all the internal parts in place in the antibacklash mechanism of the common Pflueger Skilkast. At one time I was running 50% with seeing them launch off to parts unknown. I finally got to the point where I placed a small clear plastic bag over the end of the reel and poke two small holes in it to allow my tools in to work on the part in question. Works for me.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

I have a decent pair of spring clip pliers, the ones with changeable pins on the end, but even the smallest tips are too large to fit into the gap on these little ones. Didn't find anything searching on-line that was specifically for removing these.

Presuming I manage to get them off, and they either fly off into never-land or they're too damaged to re-use, has anyone replaced those with c or e clips or the ones that can be removed with the above pliers? It would certainly be easier the next time I have to go in there.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Has anyone ever tried finding a coil spring (one with the coils close together) that made from the right size material and cut them into little clips?
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

I have tried that before Don. I usually find that the smaller circumference springs don't have the desired retention strength to suit me. I have done that only for reels & other things that I intend to keep, but would never pass a band-aid on to someone else. I have used pieces of carburetor throttle rod return springs to hold the throttle rod in place after dropping the correct clip in the dirt at the Drag Strip LOL :bash: