Removing hardened grease

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
ken w
Big ORCA Fan

Removing hardened grease

Post by ken w »

I recently pulled a Medalist 1494 out of my crate of project reels. The reel and box are close to mint. What was I doing leaving that reel with all my old bones? There is what appears to be old grease on some surfaces of the spool and frame and are very difficult to remove. I tried lighter fluid and soaking with dish detergent, but there is still some residue. I used to use simple green on my old raised pillar NPB reels, but I am afraid I might damage the painted surface. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Removing hardened grease

Post by john elder »

Try submerging the reel or parts if it comes apart in mineral spirits. Let it soak overnight, then use a toothbrush and mineral spirits to remove the grease. If it is really grease, then it will come off. Let us know how it works!
dbummee
Advanced Board Poster

Post by dbummee »

Try soaking the greasy parts in Lestoil. Works really well on metal, wouldn't want to try it on painted
or rubber surfaces.

Tom DuRose
ken w
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ken w »

Mr. Elder.
I keep reading about mineral oil. What exactly is mineral oil. I left a generous coating of WD40 on the spool and frame for most of the day and I think this has done it All the unpainted parts went into a tin of Simple Green and they all look like new. Now the fun - putting it back together. I'll post a picture, if I can figure it out.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Not mineral oil! That's what you use on your skin for a bad sunburn! Use mineral spirits!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Mineral spirits is available at your local hardware store, usually in the paint department.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

What exactly is mineral oil.
"mineral spirits?"

Ken, see below, from Wikipedia:

"White spirit (UK) or mineral spirits (US), also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum), varsol, Stoddard solvent, or, generically, "paint thinner", is a petroleum-derived clear, transparent liquid used as a common organic solvent in painting and decorating."

.... and degreasing.

Tom
ken w
Big ORCA Fan

Post by ken w »

Thank you. Good old fashioned turpentine - I've got plenty of that.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

turpentine is distilled from tree resin --- "Mineral turpentine" is a colloquialism for Mineral Spirits which is a petroleum distillate. I would expect Mineral Spirits would be much more effective than turpentine in getting rid of old petroleum based grease and not leave behind the stickiness associated with turpentine. I have found a bit of Kroil does wonders in softening old grease.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I absolutely agree, Bill, but it's kinda like washing your hands with Perrier :D
Mineral spirits is at any hardware/home store...usually used as paint thinner, and is relatively cheap. I save the stuff i use and reuse it for the dirtiest jobs. You can use a small amount of clean MS for final rinse. Decant off the leaves and dead birds occasionally and you can get a lot of mileage out of a gallon!
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

I'll catch grief for this but if it is thick grease, I fire up my pencil torch and help it become thinner. Of course. I am very careful not to damage any plastic or bakelite. I usually soak nasty parts in Awesome for awhile then a few minutes in hot water has always worked for me. It is possible that I have just never encountered the level of hardened grease ya'all are referring to.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

:D Al, reminds me of the old Burma Shave signs along route 40: "He lit a match to check the gas tank, that's why they call him skinless Frank"

Heat is a good idea for toughies, though I think a heat gun is a good alternative to open flame, at least in my garage.

I think the worst cases I ever had to deal with were Mitchell 300s where some folks thought that the screw in the back was a grease fitting. they are such noisy reels that I think some pumped them full of axle grease to quiet them down....pretty nasty when it sets up!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

What is really fun is the old black sulfur grease some folks used in reels during the depression and it is still in there!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

if it is thick grease, I fire up my pencil torch and help it become thinner.
Wussy utensils. :P I it's that bad I fire up the ol' weed burner and get right after, or rid of, it. :mrgreen:

Tom