Pflueger Progress 1774 spool issue

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Pflueger Progress 1774 spool issue

Post by jimbofish »

I just received this 1774 reel. The seller said he thought the click was bent. The click pawl and spring appear to be fine. The problem is that the gear it clicks on turns on the spool shaft. The back plate of the spool also turns semi freely on the shaft.

The front spool plate is peened on tightly. There is a washer, the gear and the rear plate on the other end. That end of the spool shaft has 8 radial marks on that end of the spool shaft. I would have expected some sort of key or flat to lock these parts to the shaft. Can I just give those marks a few whack with a punch to tighten it up, or is there a better way?
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Progress 1774 spool issue

Post by Don Champion »

I see this problem every once in a while. The easiest fix is to clean around the click (gear, sprocket, etc.) as well as possible. I even use a syringe to squirt alcohol between the gear and the shaft. Allow to dry then add a little Loctite and let it dry overnight. What has happened when they swaged the gear on it was too loose and not a press fit as it should have been.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Ok. That makes sense. If I twist the gear on the shaft there is a tight spot where it seems to be tight and the click works, but it eventually stops when the gear slips again. Loctite seems more fool-proof and less likely to damage the shaft by punching.
Thanks!
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I believe I outlined this repair in the ORCA repair manual. All the more reason to buy it. Those that do would find this solution and many more.