Verdigri green stuff removal

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Verdigri green stuff removal

Post by fishhead »

When you soak the parts in white vinegar and water using a 50/50 mix will that remove the chrome underneath the green stuff showing the bronze or brass on Penn reels where the parts are chrome plated over bronze or brass? How about if you use straight vinegar, does that make a difference?
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Verdigri green stuff removal

Post by Brian F. »

Once there is green stuff, the chrome is toast so removing it will expose the base metal and the different concentrations of vinegar will not help restore it. There is usually no chrome left underneath because that is what is oxidizing. Soaking the part to pull off the green stuff will remove whatever is left under there and will likely cause the loose stuff around it to flake off also. A no-win situation once green stuff starts to appear: remove it to stop further progression and make the area of chrome loss bigger or leave it and it continues to progress.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Been there, done that. Decided against re-assembling a Penn reel after I lost the finish. I was so unhappy about the result, I trashed the parts.
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

What a bummer. It sounds like you are better off leaving the green on than taking it off. Go green.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nah, clean is good! And there is no end to Penn parts, especially. Usually, a new foot and side rings and you're good to go.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

I have seen a near halfway result where a short soak will clean most of the gunk off but not all . It can leave a better looking reel and stops it rusting rapidly further . It will never be shiny chrome but it's not plain brass either. Hard green tinted rust.
Obviously good pre WW2 parts are hard to find but after war parts are much easier. It depends on what you will be satisfied with.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

It may not look "presentable" after removing the verdigris...but if the reel is still mechanically sound I say line it, mount it, and go catch fish!
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

With a short soak how long do you soak it for and do you use a 50/50 mix?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

try 50:50 for 30 minutes..that usually pulls off the easy stuff.