Refinishing bakelite side plates

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
seareel
Frequent Board Poster

Refinishing bakelite side plates

Post by seareel »

Gentlemen,

First let me say thanks to Bayhead for posting about Kroil. I had never heard of the solution before the post, and it certainly worked miracles on a 6/0 Senator I was working on.

Now, to my question.... I just bought an early 40s Penn 155 and after taking apart the side plates and cleaning them, I noticed they had lost the gloss and luster that was on the rest of the reel. Is there any kind of solution or polish that you all know of that I could use to permanently restore the gloss/luster back to the bakelite on the reel? Any suggestions will go a long way.

Thanks,
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Refinishing bakelite side plates

Post by john elder »

Sorry for the delay in getting to this post. I wanted to go get a side plate and try a before and after with a product that I have used for cleaning both plastic and wood lures as well as reels...GelGloss...it's sold for cleaning fiberglass boats and showers and the like. I believe it would do a good job on bakelite side plates, but will try to avoid getting side tracked and do a test to post.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

This is an old post that was never followed up on. What does everyone think about using black shoe polish on a black bakelite side plate? It goes on easily and buffs up really shiny, but it's only for shelfies.... it's not durable enough for protection on the water.

Sid
Sid Lehr
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

OK, sorry, I found the follow-up thread here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16338
Sid Lehr