Shakespeare 1920 Wondereel - frozen on spool bearing?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
lankster35
Big ORCA Fan

Shakespeare 1920 Wondereel - frozen on spool bearing?

Post by lankster35 »

I started cleaning a Shakespeare 1920 Wondereel that I purchased and was not easy to turn. I included two picture of the end of the spool where there is what looks to be like a round bearing/sleeve (1/4" or so diameter) that sits around the end of the smaller spool rod. In all my life of cleaning new or old reels the small round spool end always went inside some bearing on each end which you greased. This bigger piece came out with the spool and will not come off. Question - Is it supposed to on the Wondereel?? I pried on it some but did not want to bend or break it so stopped
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare 1920 Wondereel - frozen on spool bearing?

Post by wrong99 »

It's supposed to be that way (not come off).
Mark
lankster35
Big ORCA Fan

Post by lankster35 »

Thanks. So just lube up around the larger round part where it goes in the side of the reel. I will try but the first time I did it the reel was still terrible and not smooth. Maybe I screwed it up and bent it. Hope not.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

It has been my experience that allot of the Shakespeare reels with the wider tails bearings (there are quite a few) get tight over the years. I don't know if its age, chemicals, heat or what but either the bearing "swells" or the bushing "contracts". To smooth things out you need to take off a little material from either. Take a dremel and "rout" out/remove a little material evenly from the bushing housing or take a little material off the bearing with some emory paper. I usually use some vinyl tape around the head side spool axle (after removing the pinion gear) and chuck it up in a drill. Spin it against some high quality paper and remove just a touch of material. The bearings are hardened so if you use cheap paper youll just wear your paper out. Clean the bearing off and use high quality oil. Never grease that bearing. Grease gets "sticky". I use Castrol synthetic and a q tip. A quart will last you years. 3 in 1 oil is OK to. Works for me.
lankster35
Big ORCA Fan

Post by lankster35 »

thx Scott will work on it.