Shakepeare 2081 crankshaft disassembly help needed

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Shakepeare 2081 crankshaft disassembly help needed

Post by jimbofish »

In the process of cleaning and re-lubing a Shakespeare 2081 spinning reel. I've got everything apart and clean except the main drive gear/crank shaft assy. There's a black hub that the handle goes through on the outside of the body that is connected by a shaft to the main drive gear inside the body. I'm presuming it unscrews, probably a left-hand thread. Couldn't find any schematics on-line that would show how it's connected. Reasonable pressure against the anti-reverse didn't budge it. I thought I should find out how it comes apart before I force it and break something. Someone here must know the trick.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakepeare 2081 crankshaft disassembly help needed

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Jimbo,

Your first inkling is correct. Set the anti-reverse & also grasp the rotor so all the pressure isn't just on the dog and turn the handle backwards and it will screw out. It has probably just been force tightened & sitting for a long time. Sometimes a little tightening turn/bump before the reverse helps break things loose. It should unscrew easily once loosened. You're on the right path.

Tom
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Ok. I'll have re-assemble it partially. Thanks very much.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

That did it... and I didn't break anything! Thanks again, Tom.

I'm surprised at how many parts that reel has now that they're all spread out. Fortunately, they all pretty much will only fit in one location so it should all go back together as it was. There was one greasy plastic washer with a flange that showed up in the clean parts when I thought I was done. Somehow it fell out un-noticed but it was pretty easy to figure out that it came from the last part removed... the A/R lever.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Jimbo,

Glad it worked out. If you didn't think about it make sure you remove the retaining ring on the top of the spool and clean all the brake washers, pads and spool. Those things get really thick and gummy after awhile. It's a really easy clean. The spring and click dog on the bottom of the spool sometimes need to be cleaned, also.

Tom
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

I saw the retaining ring and planned to disassemble the drag after I get the reel done since it's the last part to go back on. Do they go back together dry or with grease?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

If it is a user, both grease and oil in a reasonable amount. If it's going to sit for show, just a little oil to keep the fiber moist w/ a thin skim of grease on the metal washers. At least that's the way I like them the best. Others may have a little different idea, but definitely not dry.

Tom