Rubberized tools cheap?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Rubberized tools cheap?

Post by Paul M »

I was in a hardware store today and found this rubber coating "paint" called Plasti Dip, made in USA. I had the idea of dipping in the tips of pliers to make my own rubber surfaced tools. While I have not controlled the drip as cleanly as I wanted, this appears to work and if you happen to hurt the rubber, you just strip, re-dip a few times as directed and let it dry. this size cost $25 and would coat probably 100 tools. I dipped this one twice and just used it successfully to remove a stiff bearing cap, leaving no trace that a gripping tool was used on the part.

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Rubberized tools cheap?

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I've used it in their plastic & rubber coatings for years as a cushion & insulation on tool handles but never thought about using it on the jaws. Good idea, Paul. One could even grind the teeth down some for a little more protection.

Tom
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

+1!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

I've used Plasti-Dip since the 1970s, mostly for coating tool handles. Stopped using it for jaws because the plastic wore through after a few uses. (Also tried using it in plastic-worm molds. Don't bother!)

Paul, it's probably better to avoid using needlenose pliers on bearing caps. Not enough space for other pliers? For most reel-related stuff, I use soft-jawed pliers with parallel jaws. I think they're still available at Lowe's for about $20 for a 2-size set. An alternative would be to dip the parallel jaws of fishing pliers (or any other parallel-jaws pliers).
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Although i'm guilty of using several layers of painters tape on pliers jaws on occasion (welll.....a lot), the best solution i've found is to use a strip of leather between jaws and thing to be loosened. Makes for good grip on both sides and has protected me from myself on several occasions. Soft jaws may also work but any time you have metal on metal, bad things can happen, MHO.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I've been using an old golf glove or at least the fingers from one between pliers and delicate things I needed to grip more aggressively like cross-pillars. I think I saw that tip in the Restoration guide. It works fine. My thought with this dip was to buy a low cost kit with a large variety of hobbyist tools and dip them all in this fashion so I would have the right style of rubber lined tool for any need. Use of pliers on the bearing cap was just a test to prove the idea to myself.
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

Post by The Fishing Hobby »

Electrical heat shrink tubing works too. Put a piece on heat it up and it will shrink to the shape. It should resist wear a little better than plasti dip. Either method would require checking on the condition from time to time because both will wear through eventually.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

I've used this Plasti-Dip in the past with success, but next time I would use it all up as fast as I could, it doesn't preserve well after opening.... the volatile organics leave and you're left with a lump of plastic at the bottom of the can.

Sid
Sid Lehr