Penn Model F should I clean or not

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
scrounger2014
Big ORCA Fan

Penn Model F should I clean or not

Post by scrounger2014 »

I found an old Model F Penn reel. I have read here they are very rare. How rare are they ? It does have some minor issues but is in about 95% working order. I rubbed the side plates with isopropyl alcohol to remove some built up grunge but I am not sure if I should do any aggressive cleaning / spit shining. What are the thoughts of members and how ? Also two base screws are broke off in opposite diagonal sides. Can they be removed and replaced and should it be attempted ? I have tried to add photos and am sorry for poor resolution. I hope it works.
Thanks

Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Penn Model F should I clean or not

Post by Tightlines666 »

That reel looks no good to me. You might as well send over to me so you don't have to fret over restoration-related concerns :)

But seriously, you are lucky to have aquire such a scarce, and historically significant item. I would adhere to some of the guidelines, and principles, and use the techniques outlined in the ORCA restoration book. The broken screws can, and should be carefully removed (there are a number of techniques available to accomplish this task. Try a good penetrant img lubricant (50:50 Acetone:Automatic Transmission Fluid) is my favorite. Get a proper sized screw extractor, or reverse threaded tap, and try freezing the reel, then adding heat directly to the screw with a ground tip soldering iron. Try to find period correct replacement screws, or any other parts (leather drag washers, under gear washer, dog spring, etc..), but try to keep this reel as original as possible, and period correct. Make sure you treat any cleaning/restoration work with kid gloves, and remember that 'less is more'. Head over to AT.com if you want to familiarize yourself with the inner workings of similar type Penn reels. I would just do a light cleaning, and service using minimal lube, and no harsh products. You don't want to try to make it look mint, since it is not. The battle scars add to its history IMHO.

Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

If you are keeping it, clean it up and definitely do the screws, as suggested by Tightlines666. If you are going to sell it, I think I would just list it on ebay as-is and let the buyer worry about it. It will likely bring stupid money without the cleanup and you can spend your time spending the money instead of cleaning the reel! I hope you are of a mind to make it part of your collection, but if you're not a Pennhead, it will likely be for paying for your reel interests anyway, eh?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I found an old Model F Penn reel. I have read here they are very rare. How rare are they ?
They are very rare. There were approximately 1000 of them made in 1932. Then they were sent all over the country. I would estimate about 20 of them accounted for in today's market plus or minus a couple. So, if you put it up for sale on EBay, expect some serious attention.

Congrats on the find.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

I agree with John. ...and Mike...and tightlines. In no particular order. Ha!
scrounger2014
Big ORCA Fan

Post by scrounger2014 »

Thanks for the great advice and history. I have reverse cut drill bits for larger size bolts, I wonder if such bits that small are available. In truth, I collect vintage reels and rods but at best as a novice. I love old reels and bait casters in particular, but I have no real direction. I collect for "atmosphere" and looks in my building. (I.E. I hang old rods and reels and other things from my trusses for looks, about 140+/-.) That being said, this reel is a little out of my league and too good to be hung out in a building. I am conflicted as what to do with it. I have thought of selling it to someone who is a far more serious collector than am I. Then I think, where will I ever find another. To complicate matters more, I don't sell on ebay. I have bought a few items over the years from ebay but never sold anything. Again, what are the thoughts of members? If you are not a serious collector in a field should you own a highly collectable / historical item in that field?
Thanks
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Here is some previous screw extraction discussion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16926&hilit=tap

As you indicated, that's one tough decision. I can't seem to ever find affordable duplicates of my really collectible reels so nothing ever gets sold, just amassed. :wink:

Tom
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

scrounger2014 wrote:Thanks for the great advice and history. I have reverse cut drill bits for larger size bolts, I wonder if such bits that small are available......

If you are not a serious collector in a field should you own a highly collectable / historical item in that field?
Thanks
Reverse cut taps are available at these sizes, but as was previously mentioned, the open-market value of this particular scarce and historically significant reel is not likely to improve through a restoration.

A reel like this deserves to be behind glass, and better yet displayed. That does not necessarily mean it needs to belong to a 'serious collector', the important thing is that it is not lost to history IMHO.
Now if you want to sell it...

EBAY will likely bring the largest sum, due in large part to market access.

Alternatively, you could list it on an online auction such as Lang's, or list it for sale here, on AT or some other forum or site.

Or you could sell it to person-to-person to someone specific that meets your criteria (i.e. having a sizable collection or someone who will assuradly keep the reel in the collector comunity). But honestly, anyone willimg to pay a large sum for the reel, is very likely to take care if it.

Sounds like this reel is become more of a burden then a blessing...maybe you should just send it to me ;)

Better yet, donate it to ORCA or list it at the next ORCA benefit auction and take a tax write off.

Also, there may be members here that are willing to go through the reel for you and perform a proper restoration if you intend to keep it, and don't feel comfortable extracting/replacing the screw(s) or dissasembling/servicing the internals.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

If you decide to do the screws, you may not need an extractor once you dismantle the reel...the screw may be "proud" enough to grasp with pliers. But don't try to remove until you have A) heated the screw and end of x-member with a heat gun. When it's good and hot, B) set it on an ice cube and let it melt its way in. Then dry off. And give it a lefty-loosey twist. You will be amazed at how well the hot/cold treatment works.

If you decide to do a complete reno and need help, just PM me.

John
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

I'm curious as to how or where you "found" this reel. It's probably a once in a lifetime find. I think I would send it to someone here to get it right. Then decide what you want to do. I doubt that there is much you can do to enhance the value though. However there are many things you can do to lessen the value.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

So, what ever happened to this reel? Anyone?

Sid
Sid Lehr
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

So, what ever happened to this reel? Anyone?
Sid, that is a really good question. This post is over a year and a half old, so I would assume someone PM'ed him and bought it. I was not me.................. :?
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Yeah, Scrounger, with two posts, probably isn't a regular visitor, and I'll likely not find the answer to this question from him....

Sid
Sid Lehr