Meisselbach 580 Tripart

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Meisselbach 580 Tripart

Post by Mike Franzen »

I have a 580 that I want to breakdown and clean up. I was wondering if there is a tutorial on this procedure? I took both end plates off but could not get the spool out because it was hitting the reel stand. The stand is humped in the middle and appears it was made that way. Also the screw holding the crank handle to the arm is slightly bent. I can turn the screws but it appears to be peened at the bottom. Would soaking in vinegar or mineral spirits hurt the plastic knob? Lastly, I want to remove the arm from the main gear. I'm assuming it is screwed on and the center piece of the arbor accepts a wrench to facilitate this. I know it's a lot of questions but I don't want to harm this old work of art. Best,
Mike
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Meisselbach 580 Tripart

Post by Don Champion »

Your reel has been bent! The foot should be straight . with both ends on, the rings in place, block the reel up under the rings on each end. Use about a 6" length of dowel rod and punch the center down until it's straight. I know this is crude but it's the only way it will work. After the spool is removed then straighten the foot. This is all explained in ORCA's repair manual. As for the screws, they are not supposed to be peened. And yes, using a wrench on the boss in the center of the spool arbor will allow you to unscrew the handle counterclockwise.
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Meisselbach 580 Tripart

Post by Mike Franzen »

Thanks Don. I'll check the orca manual. I may have been doing something wrong trying to remove the knob.