lubing spare parts

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

lubing spare parts

Post by chrisham61 »

I cleaned up some abu gears from the 70s and lubed them with 30 weight motor oil.Got them out today and the oil is varnish.What do I need tp do after I clean them up again use bearing grease .I used vinager solution originally and they tend to rust quick if you do not get something on them
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Re: lubing spare parts

Post by Tightlines666 »

Personally, I typically don't use anything on my parts that will be, or are sitting in storage. I understand how freshly exposed metal treated with vinegar, or some other solution, can quickly form a light layer of corrosion. I service alot of reels, and have seen all types of corrosion, and decayed products. I would recommend not using WD-40. This stuff is the worst in terms of forming a thick, nasty varnish. I would recommend using Corrosion X or Corrosion X HD, as has great long term corrosion protection/lubrication properties, and does not form a hard varnish over time. Any marine-rated grease also works well. I use Penn Blue alot, but Yamaha marine, or similar also work well. Non-marine axel or bearing greases can also form a big mess over time. I would also steer clear of silicon-based coating or protective products, and be careful using certain synthetic solvents/lubes on plastic or rubber parts.
Last edited by Tightlines666 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

These are all steel main drive gears for early ambassadors
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

I use Bel-Ray water proof grease....which I think is pretty comparable to the YamaLube Yamaha water proof grease.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I only use lacquer thinner to clean old greasy parts. I soak them, wipe them off, brush them with a fine wire brush, make sure they're dry and put them in little zip lock bags. I force/squeeze the air out similar to a vacuum seal as I zip it shut and just store them that way. Never had a decent SS part rust yet and I've got some that have been stored that way for 20 years. If they're put away dry and stored in a humidity controlled area they'll never rust.

Tom
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

By ss part do you mean stainless steel. These are carbon steel and I am using acetone to soak them.I store them in block barn in plastic boxes similar to the ones in new style tackle boxes.Lots of humidity in south al
tholmes
Big ORCA Fan

Post by tholmes »

I use Hoppe's gun grease. It's designed for long-term storage of firearms and works well on any steel parts. Not to great as a lubricant (in my opinion) but does a great job of preventing corrosion without turning to gunk.

Tom