Edward Vom Hofe 12/0 Reno

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Edward Vom Hofe 12/0 Reno

Post by john elder »

Fellow ORCAn David Miele was lucky to capture a nice EVH 12/0 reel for his collection. Nothing much wrong except it was rode hard and put away wet plus a few minor things:

Someone had broken it down in the past, which made getting in a lot easier, but several screws were in the wrong place, leaving ends protruding and making for a poor action on the spool...important later. The drag mechanism with drags and gear was released by removing a pin in the drive shaft, rather than a screw in the tip of the shaft, as occurs with many Vom Hofes:

Got everything cleaned up. Needed to fix the spring tongue on the handle that controls the drag setting.there was also a nasty divot in the faceplate from someone removing some initials using a machete....not perfect, but much improved with a bit of work:

So I got it all back together after taking it back apart about three times, trying to get the right screws in the right holes...you'd swear it shouldn't matter, but these hand-made reels just don't want to behave if not put back as originally tuned. The foot was on backwards and the two posts with the harness lugs were switched, which made it run really lousy. Finally got things back in the proper order and it runs smoothly.... ready for action:

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Edward Vom Hofe 12/0 Reno

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Now you're starting to approach spin reel part volume territory. :P Nice job, John, another amazing Elder transformation. :cool
miele
Big ORCA Fan

Post by miele »

WOW... She looks great. I cant wait to see it in person. Beautiful work, John...
tholmes
Big ORCA Fan

Post by tholmes »

Great job, John! That is one fine looking reel. I don't get to see many of those out here in the flatlands of Kansas.

Tom
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Nice work John. :bow:

I bet I could clean a dozen fly reels faster than it took you to clean that beast. :lol:

Dean.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Lovely job, John. Thanks for sharing the before, during and after pictures.

Paul M
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Great job on that reel! Trying to understand the mechanics of the spring tongue on the handle blade - it apparently interacts with the drag star somehow? (Edit: now I get it, it keeps the star from backing off by making the handle and star a single unit).

Also the two brass strips on the plate that extend to either side of the pinion housing.... what do those do? The guts of these EVHs is different than what I am accustomed to seeing.

Also, how is free-spool accomplished? I don't see how the clutch works from these pics....???

TIA

Sid
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sid, these big fellows are amazing reels. You expect bigger to equate to more complicated, but that doesn't hold...the mechanism is pretty simple. You can see on the one of the pics (repeated below) the free throw mechanism on the spool side of the inner face plate that works in classic style..throw the lever and the two prongs wedge under the cross piece so that the pinion gear is disengaged from the main gear...throw it back and the gear comes back in play:

as far as I can determine, the two prongs just add support for the housing around the gear.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

Post by The Fishing Hobby »

John, you do great work!
(formerly Insanehognutt)
Kevin Connell
Greenbrier, AR
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqne7f ... pp=desktop
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

He's done it again....some day John I'll be shipping milk crates or reels to you but we'll wait to the winter. Nice work, as always enjoyed seeing it.
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!