Spiral Wind alignment guidance?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Spiral Wind alignment guidance?

Post by Paul M »

I met a Spiral Wind collector a few years ago and when he learned of my interest in Canadian marked reels he gave me one of his Spiral Winds with the Canadian Patent mark on the foot. These were sold by AL&W so it is a great add to my collection. When I finished cleaning and re-assembling the reel, I tested it to see how evenly the line would be laid down on the spool. After many attempts, I finally got things lined up to work pretty well but I am assuming there is a trick to setting up the gears and spiral, eliminating guess work. I am planning to help clean up half a dozen more of these for my friend so to make my life easier, does anyone know how the parts needs to be aligned in order to get perfectly even line wraps on the spool?
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Spiral Wind alignment guidance?

Post by Steve »

Paul, assuming the video shows an "after" picture, it looks to me as if the spiral's working fine, i.e., constantly switching direction of rotation. It's probably Hyla Maynes's fault if the line doesn't wind as evenly as hoped. When Penn made the Levelmatic, they changed things so that the LW rotated in only one direction.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Steve, yes, that is an "after" picture. It works OK as shown but I had to open and re-align the gears and spiral bar several times to get it to the point where it lays down line somewhat evenly on the spool versus bunched up towards one side. I didn't see any alignment marks inside but surely there was a way to get it right the first time.
Paul M
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

Hi there Paul, as commented, the action looks correct. In my reels there are (small) alignment marks on the gears/mechanisms, so might be worth taking one more look. They are neat reels!

Cheers,

George
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Hi George:
Yes, I saw the gear alignment arrow but somehow I missed the tiny "o" mark on gear that controls the spiral itself, that also needs to be lined up. Looking closer at the pics I took during the re-assembly, I now see the "o". Thanks! I'll have to get back into it and re-align accordingly.

Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks, George! Getting the arrow tip to line up with the little "o" made all the difference in the world. It winds line perfectly level now and the casting is great as well!

Paul M
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Post by desertangler »

Spectacular! Glad it worked out Paul. :D I'm not quite sure why they used the "o" instead of an arrow! :lol:

Tight lines,

George
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Great post, Paul, and always great reels. Thanks for sharing your stuff!