Templar clean up and resto

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Templar clean up and resto

Post by Mike Franzen »

First let me say I have the manual "Cleaning, Restoring and Repairing Antique Fishing Reels" and its full of great info.
I have a Templar 1420 1/2 that seems fine mechanically but needs to be cleaned to show the beauty of this reel. I want to be able to clean and restore a reel like I see some of the ORCA members do. I'm hoping I can get help taking this thing step by step through the process. I have never done a project like this before but I'll be a good student. I'm posting a few pics to give an idea where the reel is right now and I can post pics as we go. What is step one?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Templar clean up and resto

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You'll be an ol' pro by the time most of these guys get through guiding you along. I'm gonna answer the only step I know on this type of reel: #1 remove the old line. I'm done now and will just listen to the teachers and observe.
:)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, Mike! Just go for it! If you follow the steps outlined in the book, you will be fine. If you have specific questions as you go along, just ask.

First order of business is, as tommy said, get that line off. If its linen and not rotten, you can save it. First two things you need...a digital camera and a set of good-fitting screwdrivers. Brownell's gunsmith set is good. If you have a bench grinder, you can also modify a standard driver to fit. Once you have a good fit in the side screws, go for it. Take pics all the way in and you will have a good record of the order of things when you put together again.
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

I have all the line off the reel and saved it on a line winder. I have a set of gun smith screw drivers and tips. I can modify other drivers as needed. The spool looks pretty good and I can see hints of chrome under the verdigras. So what's next?
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Start reading the book.
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

Thanks for the reply. I have read the book a few times. I was hoping I could get some guidance from the people here who do this kind of thing. I would learn better that way.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Once you have a good fit in the side screws, go for it. Take pics all the way in and you will have a good record of the order of things when you put together again.
John's advice began with the presumption that you'll be taking the reel apart as completely as possible.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Part of the problem with these reels, like other plated reels, is that when it gets green and oxidized, that means the plating is already compromised and can't be "returned" to the original appearance. However, if you were to clean off the oxidation and then polish it with techniques the book suggests, the base metal can look very similar to the nickel plating. That is, pretty shiny. Just dive in! That's the fastest way to learn as opposed to us yakking more about it.
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

I've the Templar disassembled into its major components. I'm going to soak the spool in vinegar to start cleaning it up. As I look at the inside of the head plate it appears to be straight forward to take apart. I wonder what booby traps are hidden from view. What the hell im going in deeper and hope sh£# doesn't start flying when I remove the screws.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Mike, we were posting at the same time, so most of this is redundant, but i'll leave it anyway.

The next thing to determine is whether those screws are frozen or if you can put on a good fitting screwdriver and extract them. If you can, go for it and take the reel completely apart. If not, then you need to treat with penetrating oil or mineral spirits to get them loose. As Brian says, the loose and pitted plating is a lost cause. As for me, i would just as soon get rid of it if its loose enough to come off with a 1:1 water:white vinegar soak. Others might prefer a gentler approach, but if i was doing it, it would go into a vinegar bath before i even tried to take out the screws. Leave it overnight, then rinse thoroughly and see if the screws will come out. Either way, the next step is a mineral spirits bath to chase the water out and dissolve gunk and grease.
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

All the internals look really good and really dirty. The bridge is heavy duty and even has double dogs. No wonder these reels sound so sweet when cranked. Im soaking the head plate and cross bars in vinegar. We'll see what we have in the morning.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Mike, i would lob that whole drag mechanism into mineral spirits to loosen things up, then take the screw out of the end of the spindle and that should allow you to lift the platen off the drags. There may be a set screw or pin holding it on as well...can't remember...see what's in the key channel that holds the platen from turning.
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

Here's the drag assembly taken down except for the removal of the anti reverse gear from the sleeve. I've included a pic of the small hole which I assume hides the secret to separating these two parts. I didn't expect to find the hard fiber washers in the drag. I was thinking leather discs. I'm going to check with Dawn at smooooth drags and see if she can make me new carbon fiber. Thank you Mr Elder and other responders for your guidance.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, there is a pin in there that if you push out, you can separate. Good rinse in mineral spirits and you prob don't need to do but what the heck.... you've gone this far.... nice job!
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

Well, I've finished cleaning the Templar. I elected to accept the flaking on the chromed parts as it is what it is. The inside of the reel which was full of old grease and gunk is now cleaned and lubed and I feel fully confident using this reel for its intended purpose. I will find a more suitable specimen to practice polishing on.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Looks good!
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Mike,

You did a great job to be proud of.

Ray
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Agreed! This one may not hold the top spot very long, but has been, at the least, a great learning tool for you, Mike! You can now be confident in unzipping whatever you bring home!

john