Best solution for removing crusty green corrosion

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Best solution for removing crusty green corrosion

Post by fishhead »

What is the best thing to use for removing that crusty green corrosion on an old chrome plated brass or bronze spool?
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Re: Best solution for removing crusty green corrosion

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I discovered quite by accident when lubricating a reel that a small amount of Kroil applied directly or on a cloth made the green stuff disappear almost at once from German Silver reels. It worth a try on a chrome plated one.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

I use a simple green, vinegar, mineral spirits, or diluted HCL soak and trip through the sonic cleaner. Depending on base metal, if plated, and severity of corrosion.

A mixed solution of equal parts Acetone/Automatic Transmission Oil/Mineral Spirits/Kerosene is by far the best penetrant. Just be careful not yo use with Acetone around plastics, or vulcanized rubber compounds. Just ACE:ATF works great too. Use in a well ventilated area, away from open flame or spark.

John
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

Does pure white vinegar work good for this? Or is pure simple green work better? I have tried acetone and automatic transmission fluid mixed 50/50. What do you think works best and is the easiest?
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Paul, Lots of guys here use diluted vinegar - 50/50 or less. Whatever you use will lift off the loose plating so you might end up with more bare metal than you see now. ORCA's Reel Restoration book is a great reference to keep handy (scroll down to the 11th book) ORCA Reference Books
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Brian F. wrote:Paul, Lots of guys here use diluted vinegar - 50/50 or less. Whatever you use will lift off the loose plating so you might end up with more bare metal than you see now. ORCA's Reel Restoration book is a great reference to keep handy (scroll down to the 11th book) ORCA Reference Books
And well worth the minimal investment, I might add. It really is nearly priceless when it come to reel restoration, and most of the examples can be used for other applications, too.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

fishhead wrote:Does pure white vinegar work good for this? Or is pure simple green work better? I have tried acetone and automatic transmission fluid mixed 50/50. What do you think works best and is the easiest?
Try the 50:50 water: vinegar solution. Just limit your soak time. I often use LocTite "Aluminum Brightener" Jelly, which is basically phosphoric acid, on my modern reel restorations. Just don't use it on anodized surfaces, limit the application time to 10 or 15 minutes, rinse throughly, and use nitril gloves when handlimg the parts.

Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

If you do not mind getting a little gooey, plain old ketchup works really well. Soak the reel over night and wash it off the next day. 4/0 steel wool lightly and presto!
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

I have heard about ketchup working very good. I guess it is very acidic. It won't hurt the chrome at all soaking it overnight?
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

I purchased a beautiful Heddon brass and chrome troller on eBay. As you know, to get inside of them to clean them correctly is a bear. I soaked it overnight in ketchup and washed it off the next day. At first the brass had a reddish hue to it but after I steel wooled her she was beautiful. Sent a picture to the guy I bought it from and he could not believe it was the same reel. The chrome was great.
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

I also used cheap ketchup!
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

Ketchup it is! I don't like it on hamburgers but I will probably like it on fishing reels if it works as good as it did on that Heddon troller.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

I've used a jar of pickle juice after the pickles have been eaten for a large reel spool. It fit through the large opening and was going to be dumped anyway.
Ketchup sounds interesting that it could be applied exactly where needed and not have to submerse the entire part... if you use the thick stuff!

Hmmmm? Olive oil and bacon grease for lubing? Gourmet Reel Maintenance Products... Eco-friendly and safe to use!
"We'll take the car and drive all night. We'll get drunk. We'll go fishing and stay away until she's gone"
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

jimbofish wrote:Hmmmm? Olive oil and bacon grease for lubing? Gourmet Reel Maintenance Products... Eco-friendly and safe to use!
A little tough on the old chompers, though, if you get them tummy growls while out on the lake. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

That is a good point about using ketchup (although, that's a new one for me!). Sometimes I don't want to take a whole reel apart but there's an isolated spot, say like on a pillar that could use a good soaking. I've tried adding cornstarch to vinegar to make a paste and wrapped it in saran wrap but ketchup sounds easier.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Ketchup has vinegar in it.