Eagle Claw EC3 (1970's) Spool Repair Question

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
hkp7fan
Big ORCA Fan

Eagle Claw EC3 (1970's) Spool Repair Question

Post by hkp7fan »

I have two Eagle Claw EC3 reels from the early 1970's that my dad and I used, and I want to use them with my son. One of the spools is broken, and I am looking for suggestions on how to fix it. I also need a replacement side plate screw.

This reel has an astonishingly simply drag system with almost no moving parts (and very few parts at all). But it relies on the sprocket on the spool being immobile. I think they must have been staked or stamped in place during manufacture, and one of mine now rotates freely, thus making the drag mechanism non-functional.

The sprocket rotates on an axis around a tube through which the spool is mounted into the reel. I don't see any pins or anything, or any visible way to immobilize it. When it rotates, it hits a rough spot that almost, but not quite stops it from rotating. That's why I think it was just stamped or staked in place during manufacture, and something broke it loose.

I am thinking that something as simple as hosing it down with parts cleaner/degreaser and then applying some superglue or epoxy around the seam between the reel and the sprocket would do the trick. But I would appreciate any insights or suggestions on other possible ways to fix it.

I want to keep using these reels for sentimental reasons, so I need to replace or repair this spool. If you have one of these old reels, in any condition, I'd be interested as long as the spool is in good shape.

Thanks for any assistance.