Cinderella or her Ugly Sister

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Reeltyme

Cinderella or her Ugly Sister

Post by Reeltyme »

O.K. So I am taking on a reel challenge (play on words intended). What do you think the outcome will be for this project?

The handle spins great! :D Nothing else moves though, no spool, no nothing! :shock: Welllll, into the bath she went,, she actually came open!! :D this is what I found at the back end,, maybe that's why she wouldn't turn!??? :bash:

She's now apart. I'm going for it! Keep tuned in. I'll submit more pics as she progresses. If she turns out nice and actually works when I'm done, she goes to some outfit called ORCA for a donation! Pics and all! By the way, I do have the missing piece of the rim.
Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Cinderella or her Ugly Sister

Post by Rick H »

Under all that beauty....lies a Kingfisher Freespool Surf Reel. Real question now becomes....is it Yale, Tryon, Cozzone, Montague......or ??????. :D
Rick Heitman
- Bad Casts, backlash, no bites? Check the Nut holding the rod !! -
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

eek! Better you than me!....but must admit I would not have been able to resist the effort either! Looking forward to seeing the end result!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Time for an update. Cinderella is coming along, she has shed a good portion of the ugliness. She did give in to a few battles. 2 of her screws have broken off in 2 different posts! Even after all the soaking and caution in the removal of them, they gave in to stress. I am soaking them in WD in hopes they will give up and come out. The clicker spring on the back plate crumbled when I was cleaning the face of the plate. The spring is held in with 2 screws and a plate so removal of the old one was not a problem, now the search for a replacement?? Anyway, here's a few pics of her progress.

Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Well, she's done. At least as far as I can take her. She stole several of the parts off of a nice Meiselbach (no spell check for this name?) that I had intended to restore sometime in the future, but I had to "git er dun"! She works fairly well given her obvious abuse. The handle shaft is a little loose. I tried to peen it a little but there's not much to peen. The clicker is weak but I'm surprised it works at all with all the rust I had to remove. I repaired the plastic rings the best I could and I guess they came out alright. One was broken quite badly and one was cracked. On the bright side, one of the three was actually alright! Does she go to ORCA or not. What do you think?

Rick H
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Rick H »

Considering what you had to start with.....Amazingly Well Done !!!!
Kuddos !!!! :bow:
Rick Heitman
- Bad Casts, backlash, no bites? Check the Nut holding the rod !! -
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Agreed. Great effort!

Paul M
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

Post by The Fishing Hobby »

Nice!
(formerly Insanehognutt)
Kevin Connell
Greenbrier, AR
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqne7f ... pp=desktop
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice save!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice job! And you had the bonus roach egg casing removed, haha! Amazing that you still had the piece of cracked hard rubber ring.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Brian, You had to notice the roach egg casing? I did not even see it until I posted the photos. It kind of "blended in" with everything else.