Slater SEJ Fly Fishers Winch transformation

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Slater SEJ Fly Fishers Winch transformation

Post by Paul M »

A friend recently handed me this Slater SEJ Fly Fishers Winch and asked me to fix the reel and clean it up for him. Among the issues were faded and scuffed ebonite. The backplate was defaced with paint. The ebonite had several breaks around the pillar screws. The original lead finish was worn and beyond my ability to restore. The reel was missing grasp and pin. It had a well bent faceplate and incorrectly installed cross-pillars. It looks like the reel was opened but whomever did that didn't know how to take off the faceplate so they pulled the grasp off and bent the faceplate in doing so. It also looks like there was an attempt to unscrew the cross pillars unevenly, resulting in breaks. The before and after pictures are shown below.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I already knew that the faceplate can only be taken-off the reel by first removing the central screw then holding the spool so it can't turn while unscrewing the faceplate.

The trick I had to re-learn on this reel is how to remove and correctly re-install the cross-pillars. Each pillar has threaded tips. One of threaded sections on each pillar is longer than the other. That longer threaded end is the end to insert into the thicker side plate fist, starting it with half to one full turn so it grabs the threads in the hole, but don't screw it in yet. Do this with the sideplate laying flat on the work surface. Then assemble the next 2 pillars in the same way. If they are in correctly, all will tighten in the same direction but don't do that yet. Then add the simple spring and spool. Finally, rest the opposite side plate on top, aligning the spool and pillar tips with corresponding holes in the side plate. Then slide the pillar tips into the correspond holes. Then, one at a time, tighten each pillar one turn or so, screwing into both the side plate resting on top and side-plate on bottom simultaneously. They need to stay approximately evenly threaded throughout this process or parts quickly get cock-eyed and tighten into the wrong position. Then move to the next pillar and so on until everything tightens completely. It may require "some" tinkering with the spool journals and simple spring to get everything lined up. (I think I re-assembled this reel a dozen times before I figured all this out and got it all lined up.) It now turns lightly and smoothly. The smallest mis-alignment leaves unsightly gaps between the pillars and side plates and also pinches the spool and makes it difficult to turn. A small piece of leather helps grip the pillars when you are twisting them, especially as things tighten up or if you need to undo what you started several times over :).

The owner originally thought about having me clean it up for a sale but seeing the final result is making him think about keeping it on his shelf.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Slater SEJ Fly Fishers Winch transformation

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Quite a transformation, Paul. It turned out really nice!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Super work !

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Paul, I do not collect fly reels nor do I fly fish. I have tried it and found out its a lot of work. I suck at it! But that transformation is amazing! Almost makes me want to collect some fly reels,,,, (the wife said, don't you dare), anyway, one beautiful job!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks to all.

You will note in the pics above the grasp is new, pretty long and the pin is a screw type versus a peened pin. This is a generic kit sold by a parts shop in BC and can be easily removed if I find a more original-looking grasp.

On my first go-around finding a replacement grasp, I extracted a different shorter grasp from an old Gyrex reel that seems to look more authentic. The pic below shows the reel after cleaning but before polishing at a point where I had installed the Gyrex grasp and used its old screw as a pin and peened it into place. However it wasn't as tight as I wanted so I gave it one more tap and the darn thing broke. It turns out the grasp from the Gyrex was plastic and my tool must have slipped. I knew it was risky and I goofed LOL. Anyway the kit I ended up installing works perfectly. It just looks a little long. A Hardy Perfect replacement grasp would probably look more authentic but I don't think anyone will care anyway since it isn't original. You could confidently fish with this reel.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006