Spinning reel rotor balancing...

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

Spinning reel rotor balancing...

Post by The Fishing Hobby »

I wasn't 100% sure where to put this so if it needs to be moved to a different section, please do so.
I looked quite a bit around the internet and never found anything that quite covered what I was curious about. Most vintage spinning reels I have encountered all suffer from a similar problem, poor balancing of the rotor assembly. This imbalance causes the reel to wobble while cranking, some worse than others. Some reels I have used extra material cast into the rotors to help (I assume) with balancing the rotor...none of them are balanced well. I have other reels that the manufacturers never even attempted to balance the rotors in any way, shape or form.

Some may find the rotor imbalances not to be a problem. I use my old reels and I try to make them a little nicer to use. I came up with a way to balance older rotors which worked very well in my first attempt and thought I would share what I came up with. The process can easily be undone should you ever want to return the rotor to its original state. My first attempt to balance a rotor was on a reel I bought recently and have been working on, a Shakespeare 2052. The more I work on it the more I am liking the reel as a user.

This method may not work for every reel. If you have some old user reels that you wish were a little smoother this may be the ticket.
Last edited by The Fishing Hobby on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(formerly Insanehognutt)
Kevin Connell
Greenbrier, AR
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqne7f ... pp=desktop
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Spinning reel rotor balancing...

Post by john elder »

Nice, Kevin! and in the right place, as well!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Spinning reel rotor balancing...

Post by The Fishing Hobby »

Thanks! I actually figured out the correct weight and placement before shooting the video :D
I didn't figure anyone want to watch me fumbling around dropping split shot in a rotor for 5 minutes!
(formerly Insanehognutt)
Kevin Connell
Greenbrier, AR
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqne7f ... pp=desktop