Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:08 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
I've been meaning to get here and post photos of this restoration since yesterday. Life has been getting in my way. This is the reel for which I need the handle nut. As I said, the only thing I am unhappy with is the rounding at the screw holes, which I will correct in my next attempt. I've got one before pick
and a few after pics.

Because someone had previously worked with this reel and restored the pitted spool, as seen here,
I decided to limit my efforts on the Nickel silver on this reel; Simichrome on a 0000 steel wool was pretty much all the metal got

Sid

Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:25 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
Sid,

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Well done!

What a transformation!

These reels are quality through-and-through.

John

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:07 am 
Advanced Board Poster
Thanks, John.
I have a few questions for those with greater experience.

I didn't remove the thumb stall from the rear post, so I wasn't able to clean the post well. The only way I could see to do that was to bend the thumb stall metal and then bend it back, and I wasn't sure I would be able to return it to original condition, so I let that be.

The circular contours on the plates - deeper on the tail plate than the head plate - how do you get into that groove evenly to sand?

The two steel pins that go through the spool and engage the pinion ring (not sure what to call that)- on the inside of the spool those areas are more corroded (galvanic corrosion, I think). Is this seen in most of these reels? It seems to be a weak spot, yet the one I just did has lasted 99 years so far, so it's not a serious weakness.

Are the bearings around the gear sleeve steel? Stainless? If replacing these bearings, I assume they must all be replaced together? I'm missing one, not a big deal, but if I found a replacement, might it not work well?

The bridge post on this reel is magnetic. I suppose it is plain steel, but protected by grease/oil so rusting isn't a problem? It has a spiral groove to distribute oil.

Is the disk on the inside of the back end cap (and the bearing) brass, or is it a NS with more copper that makes it look more coppery? I would think that brass is not strong enough to tighten that cap down so tightly with risks of stripped threads, and so far I haven't found any brass on any EVH reels or posts about them.

Thanks for the help.

Sid