Shakespeare Model 1750 Question

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Shakespeare Model 1750 Question

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I have an old Shakespeare 1750, closed faced under hanging spinning reel that I have taken apart, throughly cleaned and oiled and greased, and the reel works flawlessly. On the cone shaped cover, the line guide or ring at the end of the cone where the line pass through, are lots of small grooves that were made by line (line cuts) caused by years of use. I look at these grooves as being similar to saw teeth that will cut the line, so, I took my trusty Moto Tool and with a small grinding bit, I removed the grooves and smoothed out the line guide ring.

Here is my question. Did I do the repair properly? I don't plan on using the reel a lot, just a few times this season and to hopefully catch a few fish with it. So, I don't plan on putting any new grooves in the line guide. The only other alternative I have come up with other than spending hours and expense in trying to find a new cover, is to epoxy a finish washer roughly the same size and shape as the original line guide. I'm not trying to make the reel more fishable than collectable. I only paid $8.00 for it and it has so far been a fun and worth while project.
Joe
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Model 1750 Question

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It sounds like basic maintenance to me and I doubt very much that it will hurt the value of the reel. Do the "feel test" but also rotate a Q-tip in it to make sure there are no rough spots. Those line guides are not easily replaceable and the most feasible option, other than what you've done, is to try to find a NOS front cover. You could still keep your eyes open for one if you wish but one would probably cost more than you originally paid for the reel. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thanks for the advice Tom. In smoothing out the grooves even more (should have left it alone while I was ahead), I didn't leave enough metal on the inside and the ring popped off. So, I tried my alternate fix and it worked. I found a finish washer of the correct size at the local hardware store and with some JB Weld, I glued the finish washer in pace. I then used more JB Weld on the inside and smoothed it out so that the line would be resting on a smooth instead of sharpe edge. If the JB Weld holds, and I think it will, all is good. I was also able to find an a cover from an old Shakespeare 1810 and it fits on the 1750 and works great. It is now a Frankenreel, but hey, it works and it is almost as old as I am.
Joe
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I think I would find a line guide that had an aluminum oxide liner and remove the ring portion of the guide and JB Weld that to the cover. They available in such a large variety of sizes that one should be able to find a very good fit.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.