What's wrong with this picture??

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

What's wrong with this picture??

Post by john elder »

A friend was kind enough to honor me with this little beauty...for some reason, the reel just wouldn't crank, although it looked fine on the outside. Amazingly enough, this poor Shakes is cleaning up pretty nicely. Main thing that probably needs replaced is the adjustable clicker, which has suffered the most from rust.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Re: What's wrong with this picture??

Post by Nick in NY »

Hey John if anyone can do it it's you. We've all seen your work but looking forward to seeing it completed. Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, Nick! this it the first cleanup prior to polishing. Obviously, the steel gears have taken a hit but will clean further and probably work okay. the clicker pointer is also freed and would probably work, but I may try to either fabricate a replacement or find a better original part for this less-than ideal Ideal. The spring will also need replaced.

Maybe this is like trying to retrieve a dropped peanut, but it's still rewarding to bring reels like this back from the brink.

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Great recovery so far, John!

Paul M
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You certainly do have patience and magical fingers, Mr. Elder!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I'm sure it will look pristine in no time, as usual. I hope to have half of your skills when I grow up! In the meantime, I found a few similarly neglected orphans to practice on. Keep us posted on the progress!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

I have the parts you need. Refresh me on where to send them.
Len Sawisch
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

thanks to a little Help from my Friends (Thanks, Len!),.....IT'S ALIVE!....IT'S ALIVE!!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member