Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:16 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Big ORCA Fan
Hello all,
I acquired this penn 209 level wind reel, from my friend. The level wind does not work, but, it was free. I do not know the age of the real. but, I wish to fix the level wind, and use it. any information on sources for parts, would be greatly appreciated. also, fixing the reel, will be a first for me. So, any advice on what y'all think might be the problem, and how to remedy said problem would also be a huge help. Thanks again. I've included some pictures of the reel for identification.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:38 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Big ORCA Fan
Also, the level wind stays on the right side and there's a clicking noise when you turn the crank.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:42 pm 
Star Board Poster
I suspect the pawl is all corroded and stuck, so it can't go back and forth. It's hard to tell without having in hand. Best thing to do is to get it apart and do a thorough cleaning. It's likely 1:1 water:white vinegar will loosen up the pawl. Alternatively, if you don't like vinegar treatments if the plating is degraded, is to soak the parts in mineral spirits or hit them with PB Blaster. Likely if you get all the bits apart and working, just lubing and putting back together will have you on the water!

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:04 pm 
Super Board Poster
Free is better than cheap! (but sometimes you get what you paid for) It appears the LW assemble is serviceable without breaking down the entire reel. As long as carriage screw is not chewed up you should be able to fix and return to service. Tough part may be getting the pawl from the line block (assuming it is frozen). Then a good soak in MS, clean, dry, hit the pawl body with emery cloth, oil, reassemble. Always recommend to service the entire reel before wetting line. You got this!

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:08 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Big ORCA Fan
Thanks for the help. This'll be my first time trying to fix a reel. I think that this might be a problem.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:26 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Big ORCA Fan
I'm not sure it's worth fixing. I'll need at lest three parts to fix a reel that can probably be bought for the same amount. It is, at least, a unit that was made in the US. What do y'all think fix it or pillage it for parts and be done with it.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:32 am 
Advanced Board Poster
Here's a link to a tutorial that will tell you most everything you need to know to restore this reel. I may have a few spare 209 parts I can send you if that'll get you going. While you're there, most of the rest of your questions can be answered on this site as well.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 pm 
Star Board Poster
Is the nylon gear the only part that's broken? That should not be hard or expensive to get!

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:41 am 
Advanced Board Poster
Pretty sure I have an extra nylon gear for that reel. PM me and it's yours.