If it's for free, it's for me!!!

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Jaybird1973
Big ORCA Fan

If it's for free, it's for me!!!

Post by Jaybird1973 »

Hello all,
I acquired this penn 209 level wind reel, from my friend. The level wind does not work, but, it was free. I do not know the age of the real. but, I wish to fix the level wind, and use it. any information on sources for parts, would be greatly appreciated. also, fixing the reel, will be a first for me. So, any advice on what y'all think might be the problem, and how to remedy said problem would also be a huge help. Thanks again. I've included some pictures of the reel for identification.
:fished all day jay
Jaybird1973
Big ORCA Fan

Re: If it's for free, it's for me!!!

Post by Jaybird1973 »

Also, the level wind stays on the right side and there's a clicking noise when you turn the crank.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I suspect the pawl is all corroded and stuck, so it can't go back and forth. It's hard to tell without having in hand. Best thing to do is to get it apart and do a thorough cleaning. It's likely 1:1 water:white vinegar will loosen up the pawl. Alternatively, if you don't like vinegar treatments if the plating is degraded, is to soak the parts in mineral spirits or hit them with PB Blaster. Likely if you get all the bits apart and working, just lubing and putting back together will have you on the water!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Free is better than cheap! (but sometimes you get what you paid for) It appears the LW assemble is serviceable without breaking down the entire reel. As long as carriage screw is not chewed up you should be able to fix and return to service. Tough part may be getting the pawl from the line block (assuming it is frozen). Then a good soak in MS, clean, dry, hit the pawl body with emery cloth, oil, reassemble. Always recommend to service the entire reel before wetting line. You got this!
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
Jaybird1973
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Jaybird1973 »

Thanks for the help. This'll be my first time trying to fix a reel. I think that this might be a problem.
Jaybird1973
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Jaybird1973 »

I'm not sure it's worth fixing. I'll need at lest three parts to fix a reel that can probably be bought for the same amount. It is, at least, a unit that was made in the US. What do y'all think fix it or pillage it for parts and be done with it.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Here's a link to a tutorial that will tell you most everything you need to know to restore this reel. I may have a few spare 209 parts I can send you if that'll get you going. While you're there, most of the rest of your questions can be answered on this site as well.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Is the nylon gear the only part that's broken? That should not be hard or expensive to get!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Pretty sure I have an extra nylon gear for that reel. PM me and it's yours.
Sid Lehr