Restoration of an Edward vom Hofe model 621 size 4/0

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Restoration of an Edward vom Hofe model 621 size 4/0

Post by sdlehr »

Finished my second EVH restoration! Happier with the final results than I was with the last! I described the sanding blocks I fabricated for this at the end of this thread I'm kind of hijacking from Paul Manuel - sorry Paul :mrgreen: I've taken this reel to a little higher level in polishing than I did the last, as the spool was in a little better shape, so I pulled out almost all the stops; but I may go back and do more work on the handle, star and collar, as they don't yet match the shine on the spool flanges and cross pillars - soliciting opinions...

Plates, before, I have whole reel pictures but this shows better what I started with

And after about 6-7 hours of work they became this

Sid Lehr
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Restoration of an Edward vom Hofe model 621 size 4/0

Post by Midway Tommy D »

WOW, Sid, beautiful transformation!! Obviously your tool adaptions work well! :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thanks, Tommy. I struggled to do this with the method Paul outlined in his post about restoring hard rubber side plates. I use a (small) circular motion but go around the side plate just as methodically as Paul does so as to cover all areas equally. Different strokes for different folks; since the process is simply a series of successive frictional events leaving successively smaller and smaller scratches I don't think the direction of sandpaper movement is critical as long as all parts of the plate receive the same careful, restrained approach. Having the firm, flat backing just beneath the sandpaper makes it possible to press harder without rounding edges and screw holes, which was my problem with my last restoration. I also think it is OK to start out with 320 grit sandpaper instead of 400 or 600; Had I done so on this reel I think I would have finished the job more quickly and ended up in the same place +/- a micron or two of hard rubber. Thanks for the kind words.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

IMHO, all 320 grit wet/dry paper is not created equal, either. I love this 3M Pro Ultra Flex. It lasts, seemingly, forever!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

That's what I've been using, Tommy. Good stuff.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Freakin' gorgeous job, Sid! The super polished metal is not my cup-o-tea, but as long as it's not given some overcoat finish to keep it that way, it will calm down with a few years of shelf fishing....or stay that way with an occasional re-buffing. I have to admit that maybe I "prefer" the partial shine because I'm too lazy to work that long and hard!

john

PS: I have probably 8 EVHs in kit form, ready for your skills when you get the second wind! :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thank you, John, praise from one of the best in the biz means a lot.
john elder wrote:PS: I have probably 8 EVHs in kit form, ready for your skills when you get the second wind! :D
I've got two more in the lineup now, two more 621's. You got anything that's not a 621? When I'm done with what I've got I'll have done four 621's in a row... Also looking to do a JVH B-Ocean, 4/0 or 6/0 to start. It's a historically-significant reel I want in my collection.

I'm about an hour away from Reels-as-big-as-your-head-Ed and have to make my way over there one of these days to see his collection and put my mitts on a Kovalovsky, I've only seen pictures. I've got plenty of latex gloves, Ed, don't worry :D

Sid
Sid Lehr
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Very nice Job Sid I don't care what John says about the polished metal !!! It will dull a bit in time. Great job on the side plates you should be proud !!! John Taylor
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Nice work Sid!