Need EVH screw help

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Need EVH screw help

Post by sdlehr »

I purchased a few EVH 621's from a member and am restoring them one by one. One of the reels, a 6/0, was received without left side plate foot screws. At first I was sure the threads were different from the other side, even though that seemed intuitively odd. Long story short, a little Kroil and the threads really are the same.

The dimensions of the two screws I am looking for are:
Major thread diameter 0.125"
Threads - Between 36 and 40 TPI, I'll go with 38 (I have no thread gauge of that size)
Head diameter 0.215" (minus a thousandth or two no big deal)
Head height 0.125"
Thread length 0.85-0.90", no longer but a little shorter OK

I can't imagine a 37 or 39TPI tap (or die), so I'm pretty sure it's 38TPI, comments or suggestios welcome.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Need EVH screw help

Post by john elder »

Sid, i think something here will do you but none are exactly as you describe. They are all #5-40 screws and all are from 4/0 or 6/0 621s. Length of screw, threads, --and head height vary all over the place. The smallest screws have the size (height) heads you want but all are .221" dia heads so can be cut down if you need more length. Lmk what you would like to try and we'll do that

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thanks, John. I appreciate the help.

I don't understand this:
john elder wrote: The smallest screws have the size (height) heads you want but all are .221" dia heads so can be cut down if you need more length. Lmk what you would like to try and we'll do that
I would understand if we were talking about taking down the height of the head on the thread side creating a longer shaft. Decreasing the head diameter doesn't bring more length in any way I can figure out; I must be misunderstanding.

You've been doing this longer than I have. Which screws would you suggest? I don't (yet) have a lathe to turn the screws, but I could chuck them up in a drill and hold a file to them.

I measured the total depth of the screw holes with a wire; I know the screws don't have to go all the way to the end. I guess if the threads bite 1/2-3/4" that's about all that's needed.

LMK what you think. Thanks again.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

keep diameter the same, but was saying that you (I) could turn the height of the head down to size, if needed. That could happen as you indicated, to make room for more threads (probably not needed since you have dead air going thru the side plates) or take off the top and the put the slot back in or deepen as needed. Send me your mailing info by email or PM and we will figure out what's the best alternative.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures