metal staining

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

metal staining

Post by sdlehr »

On this reel there are numerous areas of staining on the Nickel silver of a type I've not seen before, particularly near some of the screw slots and where the counterbalance is no longer fully flush with the rest of the handle blade. It doesn't appear to me that these areas are the result of plating loss, and EVH didn't plate his German silver anyway. Can anyone enlighten me here? Is this to be attributed to a particular batch of G silver? Thanks.
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: metal staining

Post by john elder »

Sid, for some period, EVH did, in fact, plate over nickel silver....so although some would complain it's an alteration of the original reel, you can sometimes find a wonderful NS finish underneath some hideous chipped plating. I can't swear that's what you are looking at here, but it's likely you can clean to make it look decent. Below is a Montague NS reel that I recently cleaned...it still needs more cleaning after I looked at these pics, but you can see some removeal of staining on the back plate.

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

I don't know what that is or what caused it. But I know that if you heat up nickel silver (we should call it cupronickel since there is no silver involved) you will get some segregation and a copper-heavy surface staining which looks just like that. I think it has something to do with cooling in the presence of oxygen. It is only skin deep and can be buffed away. But, it is unlikely/impossible that the reel was heated up enough to cause that type of staining after assembly.
-steve
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thank you, John. I didn't know that some of these were plated.... it would make sense that the screw slot areas would be among the first areas to lose plating if it was thin or poorly done... but I'm still not convinced that's what this is... I wonder if all the metals (meaning screws as well) were plated during this time period you spoke of...

Steve, I think Nickel brass would be a better name than Cupronickel because that term ignores the Zinc content... this alloy has had many different names in the past.
Sid Lehr
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Nickel brass would suit me Sid. Metal purveyors have been shying away from names like German silver because it can be misleading.
-steve
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Hey Guys, I believe that some oil stains. It's also possible and noted that many makers didn't always clear coat they're reels rite after being made or cut down from bar stock. I've noticed on several high end makers a clear coat lacquer was applied that preserved the shine and luster of metals, either nickel or brass who knew when it would sell and why not keep or give it an extra level of protection especially on salt water models. Think about it you've an expensive hand made reel that hasn't sold yet from the retailer yet people come in ask questions and handle the reels. Now the oils from there hands tarnish and mark the reel......unless you're into the polishing business as well. I noticed Meisselbach coated many of their high end salt water reels as well as a few others.
Not sure when I read a post on the board about chrome plated Hofe reels. Note it was after Hofe sold out to Ocean City post 1940. I've found many plated Hofe reels including a 20-0 cradle that was assembled by Ocean City and had a glass rod. Something also to think about, after buying out Hofe why cover the warranty from a previous owner if you could simply plate and identify your pieces, though you could always make repairs at a profit. Tight lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!