Pflueger Capitol 1788 and 1988

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
GaryC
Big ORCA Fan

Pflueger Capitol 1788 and 1988

Post by GaryC »

I have these reels that are 55-60 years old. I'm looking for instructions on how to disassemble them so that I can clean and lube them. They work fine. I'd like to keep them that way. Any help would be appreciated.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Capitol 1788 and 1988

Post by sdlehr »

Without schematics you can still get the job done if you take lots of pictures as you disassemble.... are you fishing these reels or are they shelfies? I ask because you'll have to be more precise with the lubrication if you are fishing them.
Sid Lehr
GaryC
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GaryC »

Both reels are in excellent condition, fully functional, and that's what I'm trying to maintain. I did disassemble my 1788 many years ago, apparently incorrectly, because I released a spring and parts went everywhere. Had a heck of a time figuring out how to get it back together. I'm trying to avoid that this time.
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

The 1988 has a quick take apart by way of the knurled screw on the head plate. They can be stubborn, especially if you do not know which way to turn it, but there is an explanation on Alan Tani:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12217.0

You can lubricate and do some cleaning with only the quick taka-apart. However, it will not allow you to service the drag washers or check the anti-reverse for wear.

To do a complete tear-down, remove the handle and star. The next thing is the crescent shaped brass bridge held by screws from the outside. You are most likely to have something go flying when the last bridge screw is removed. Instead of lifting the bridge out, hold it all in place and slowly rotate the bridge to the side until you find the anti-reverse dog and spring.

Ditto for the 1788 except you are removing screws holding the side plate to the posts instead of quick take-apart.

I agree with Sid and personally find my own photos to be more helpful than a schematic. If it is really complex or the first time, I will snap a photo after removing every screw and part.

It can be a little intimidating at first, but then so is a jigsaw puzzle and children can do that. Just go slow and think about the function of each part as you progress. After you do it once, you'll be able to service that reel and any similar reel. There is plenty of help here if you get stuck. The absolute worse case scenario is that you will have to put it all in a coffee can and send it off to someone for reassembly.

-steve
GaryC
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GaryC »

Thanks, Steve

The tips will be helpful. The quick take down for both reels works very easily. It's getting to the inner parts that I was concerned about, and you've at least told me where I need to watch out on both reels so that the inner parts don't go flying. I think with the help you've provided, I should be OK. I'm taking my reel fishing next week off New Jersey. Will take both reels down to bare metal and relube when I get back.