record 50a

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

record 50a

Post by chrisham61 »

How do you get it apart.I HAVE 3 SIDEPLATE SCREWS OFF ON ONe SIDE AND A large COVERPLATE SCREW OFF ON THE other Do these just pop off now.Any thing i need to ne wary of.
Chris Ham
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: record 50a

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Here you go, Chris, just reverse the procedure. If you have any other questions just ask.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

Thanks helped a bunch .Looks like I am missing the anti reverse spring.Also there was a washer under the main gear.I think this is the washer that goes in front of the brass brake drum refered to as a thrust washer.Mine is the same as the one on this website schematic under 50a record.Also I am missing the small felt washer that goes in front of the big felt washer.There must have been small differences in these reels.Mine also has only one tit on the plastic drag washer that locks it in the back of the housing
Chris Ham
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

correction washer fits drive gear shaft .It will not fit in front of brass bushing.Is the washer that fits here a drag washer or metal washer .It is referred to on schematic as a thrust washer.Part number 7
Chris Ham
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

There were minor changes through the different versions. I don't have access to a schematic for any of them. Could you post a couple of photos of your reel and maybe the schematic? FYI, the black reel pictured in the 50A discussion is not a 50A. It is one of the earliest "Record" versions, late '40s to '50ish. The 50A didn't come until the early '60s.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

The schematic that I found was here on the orca website under reel exploded drawings. Mine is the half bail with the plastic spool and round drag knob.It looks just like the 50a schematic.Mine also had a nylon washer under the handle knurled nut.I'll try to post a picture but now it is completely dissasembled.
Chris Ham
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Thanks, I found that schematic. I had forgotten we even had a few of those. It looks like yours is a newer version and obviously there were some changes, although the thrust washer looks like the same concept. On the 6 & 700 it is a fairly thin fiber washer. Enlarge, twice, the picture down about in the middle where it shows the body, shaft and drag parts and you can see that it has a hard fiber composition. Looks like they modified most of the brake stack part assembly. I have no idea about the nylon handle washer? The 6 or 700 didn't have anything like that and the schematic doesn't even show one. I wonder if someone added it as a possible fix because they couldn't figure out how to use the anti-reverse function correctly?

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

I don't know but.I actually found this washer in the parts as I was degressing them

It could be the thrust washer but if it is the outside diameter is right but The inside is loose on the bushing.The nurled handle nut on this one has a shoulder on the underside.This washer fits this shoulder perfectly.Would they have used nylon for the thrust washer.
Chris Ham
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

could it be this has the smaller inside diameter to let the pin on the spool shaft slide up and down inside the brass bushing
Chris Ham
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

When I put it back together the half bail trip screw is hitting the bail trip as it rotates .Looks like I have it put together right.I have moved stuff numerous times and can not get it fixed help?
Chris Ham
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Make sure you have the spacer installed on the long trip spring screw and also that the bend in the spring is such that it allows the bail to flip all the way closed. Also, make sure the half bail isn't hitting the spool or cup. The tutorial shows all those parts and how they go together. If, in the tutorial, you look closely at the longer trip spring screw (turned head down) you can see the spacer. If that doesn't take care of it you'll need to post some pictures to figure it out.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

aha that is the problem there was no spacer when I took it apart.I filed the slot slightly on the outside of rotor and this allowed the screw to clear the trip with the half bail in the closed position.Now if I can locate an anti reverse spring this reel will be ready for action .Thanks a mill Tommy
Chris Ham
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

You could probably pick up a similar sized spring at your local hardware store and fabricate one that will work. While not very large in diameter it is a fairly stiff spring. One loop end goes around the screw and the other loop end fits in the slots on the brake bushing. The photos clearly show its configuration.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027