broken Luxor knob

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
hiloboy
Big ORCA Fan

broken Luxor knob

Post by hiloboy »

My uncle bought this Luxor no. 2 reel brand new, used it for decades, got too old to fish so he gave it to me. I promptly broke the knob off. For sentimental value, I want to fix it.

I don't understand what held the broken stub in place as there is no slot or how to get it out. Any suggestions on how to fix it. Thanks!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: broken Luxor knob

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Use a #1 easy-out extractor, Hanse/Irwin is the easiest to find. They recommend a 5/64" drill bit but I always start with a 1/16" bit. Start a hole in the center of the broken stud that remains in the handle. The extractor is left hand twisted so when tightened it will back the broken stud out of the hole. Drill your pilot hole just deep enough so that the extractor will catch. If you have never done it before here is a video explaining the basic procedure. Yours is just a smaller bolt so you will have to be more careful. A replacement shouldered handle screw should be an easy find and will screw right back into the handle if you don't damage the threads.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
hiloboy
Big ORCA Fan

Post by hiloboy »

Thanks for the help Tom! So the handle actually has threads?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Yes, and the shoulder on the bolt screws tight to the handle. Make sure you request a replacement bolt with the same length & diameter shoulder. Chances are the threads on a replacement should be doable since the handle is aluminum. Most of those type bolts will interchange.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027