Pflueger Free Spool Disassembly

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Pflueger Free Spool Disassembly

Post by Bill Muth »

Working on a cute little Bond free spool tonight. The main gear is a little gummed up so I would like to remove it. When I turn the screws they just spin and I can't figure out a practical way to immobilize the gold washer on the inside. Any tips would be appreciated.
Wanted: Horton, Bristol & Meek reels, reel boxes, and catalogs!!!!
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Free Spool Disassembly

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

There actually is a screwdriver made for such heads made by Hazette for early German Carburetors or you can take a pair of bent Needle nose plier and file the ends to fit those groves to hold that slot nut in place while turning the out side screw or make you own screw driver tool by filing down the center of a proper width flat screw driver or any flat malleable piece of metal would do like an old Church key for instance.
Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Bill,

I've made a couple of tools like those Harry described in his last example. I just took a cheap old crappy screwdriver and filed the blade to the proper slot length & width and filed a slot deep enough to straddle the center object. In my case it was for a cap nut on the off side of a bail. Here's an example under the rotor:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Harry Verdurchi
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Harry Verdurchi »

Also it looks as though those screws were peened over to prevent one from taking them out probably to ensure that the mechanism would always be free to move and one could not over tighten them.
In that case it will be difficult to get those little brass retainers off and I would just soak the whole thing in some solvent and blow it off with air to get it clean. Then re-grease /oil and put it back together .