Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
Working on a cute little Bond free spool tonight. The main gear is a little gummed up so I would like to remove it. When I turn the screws they just spin and I can't figure out a practical way to immobilize the gold washer on the inside. Any tips would be appreciated.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
There actually is a screwdriver made for such heads made by Hazette for early German Carburetors or you can take a pair of bent Needle nose plier and file the ends to fit those groves to hold that slot nut in place while turning the out side screw or make you own screw driver tool by filing down the center of a proper width flat screw driver or any flat malleable piece of metal would do like an old Church key for instance.

Last edited by Harry Verdurchi on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:06 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
Bill,

I've made a couple of tools like those Harry described in his last example. I just took a cheap old crappy screwdriver and filed the blade to the proper slot length & width and filed a slot deep enough to straddle the center object. In my case it was for a cap nut on the off side of a bail. Here's an example under the rotor:

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:07 am 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Also it looks as though those screws were peened over to prevent one from taking them out probably to ensure that the mechanism would always be free to move and one could not over tighten them.
In that case it will be difficult to get those little brass retainers off and I would just soak the whole thing in some solvent and blow it off with air to get it clean. Then re-grease /oil and put it back together .